UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Dear Maintenance expert Our smart Fortwo would not start…

Customer Question
Dear Maintenance expert Our smart Fortwo...
Dear Maintenance expert
Our smart Fortwo would not start with engine warning light on. Car is still new with only 12000 km. We discovered a large amount of water pooling under the front seats under the rubber mats. Water was at least 1cm deep. No dampness to seats or obvious water on top op mats, car has NOT been flooded internally by human error. Car is still under warrentee and maintenance plan but Mercedes want to charge me R14000 to replace some box that has been damaged by the water. I discovered the water when we towed the car to Merc and I lifted the mats looking for the tow-hook. I also found an L-shape small rubber pipe lying loose in the pool of water under the mat near some wiring. I did some research and Smarts seem to have a body leaking problem if it was not the AC leaking some how. Please advise, I am not paying R14000 for repairs for an AC or design error I have nothing to do with.
Warm Regards
Margareta Angelo
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Car
3/2/2016
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 2 years ago
Peter Zavarelli

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the dealer did not check the ac drains for being disconnected (this may be part of the drain you located) or for being plugged up this needs done.If there is an issue with either a drain plugged or disconnected leaking water in or an issue with body sealer or a poor weld on the body due to the build this would be repaired and covered under warranty.One thing you can do is to contact Smart customer service and explain the issue and sometimes they can push this along to be repaired under warranty.This is usually the best option when a dealer will not honor the warranty.I suspect drain came loose and caused this here and is not your fault so you will need Smart customer service to push this repair along.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete