Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli,
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

What is the cause of damage to catalytic converter in my

Customer Question

What is the cause of damage to catalytic converter in my ford edge 2014 limited edition.? Can poor quality fuel cause the damage?
Is it covered by warranty protection
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can a damaged oxygen sensor spoil the catalytic converter?
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Warranty on the catalytic converter is usually 10 years or 8 years or 80,000 miles whichever comes first.What will cause damage is poor fuel quality or to much fuel into the exhaust.Usually if this was a fuel issue you would see a code for the oxygen sensor at fault or a lean or rich running code issue.If you have a damaged oxygen sensor it will need replaced.I would check and make sure no other codes are set needing diagnosed and repaired as this will help locate any other issues needing corrected before you have the catalytic converter replaced.

If a dealer finds the reason the converter failed was due to owners responsibility then warranty usually wont cover the new one but in most cases if still in the age and mileage guidelines then warranty will cover it.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete