UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

We have a problem with a terracan 2.9 desel manual 2004 when…

Customer Question
we have a problem with...
we have a problem with a terracan 2.9 desel manual 2004 when we put the caravan on it over heats and goes into limp mode then when cool will travel a few miles then the same does not realy do it without a pressure on it
it has had new head ,viscose fan ,water pump and crank sensor ,plussome other things not done all at same time but within the last few weeks no matter what i have tried it does not solve it ,i see online this is common so is there a common fix
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Car
2/29/2016
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 2 years ago
Peter Zavarelli

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

In some cases the engine may not be over heating at all but the engine coolant temp sensor may be sending a false signal that the engine is over heating.I have had to replace several engine coolant temp sensors in the past before for issues like this here to correct this fault.I would have this checked into to see if this is all that needs done here.Usually the actual temp can be checked with a temp probe to see if the engine is over heating.

If the engine is over heating and all this work here has been done already to try and correct this if you have not had the engine cooling system flushed at all this should be done.If there is debris in the coolant system this will block flow and cause this issue.One common area is the radiator itself as I have had to remove some of these and either replace it or have it flushed by a shop that can flush the radiator independently.

One common issue I have seen on some models is the radiator isnt big enough to keep the engine cool.I have seen some models needing to go with a bigger core radiator to keep the engine cool and this may need done here as well if all of these here do not resolve the fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

hi
yes it gets bubbling hot goes into limp mode then when cooled will run till hot again
we have done everything except replace the rad with a larger one (we have flushed the rad orselves but is there a special way more than we know to do this and yes it was full of debris)
someone also suggested to replce or upgrade the earth/ground cable to the engine another aid there were 2 coolant pipes that go very close to the exhaust?also the
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 2 years ago

I know that radiator repair facilities will usually take the tanks off the sides of the radiator and flush each port to free any debris in it.Since you had debris in it just a simple flush may not have freed up and removed the debris and a radiator repair facility may need to remove the tanks and flush it through or it may need replaced.

I havent heard of a ground issue that will cause this as long as your fans are coming on.

I dont see the coolant pipes myself that can heat up near the exhaust but check the coolant pipes and hoses and see if any are near the exhaust.If any are if you can carefully bend them away this will help or wrap them with heat shield tape or a heat shield to protect them.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

just checked he put on a new radany more ideas i see on the internet this is a common problem there must be a common solution?
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 2 years ago

I did locate some common threads on the ground issue.Connect a ground from the battery or the body to the thermostat housing.There seems to be a ground issue causing the computer to work incorrectly with the fan operation and cooling.I would also have a cylinder block test done (usually takes an hour or less to do this at a shop or dealer with a block test tool) to see if even though the head was replaced if there is an issue with exhaust leaking into the cooling system.If exhaust is found leaking into the coolant system then this can indicate that there is an issue with the head gasket not sealing properly or an issue with a crack in one of the cylinder walls as this can be a common issue.

Thanks Pete

another unique thing is it only does this overheating when any stress put on ie a caravan on the back going up minor hill
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 2 years ago

This does sound like the extra load of going up hill or putting stress on the engine is causing the over heat.This can still be the grounding fault here and may be corrected adding a ground as described above or an issue with exhaust leaking into the coolant system due to the head gasket leak or cracked engine block or cracked cylinder walls.These are the common issues for this here.

Thanks Pete

just going to discuss all this with my guy doing the job and come back shortly
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 2 years ago

No problem.Let me know what you come up with here when your ready.

Thanks Pete

Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli