UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an oil leak it's all over the exhaust but sump is dry…

Customer Question
Hi I have an oil...
Hi I have an oil leak it's all over the exhaust but sump is dry what could it be please
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Car
2/26/2016
UK Auto Mechanic: Kevin, UK Car Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, UK Car Mechanic

Hi im kevin can you send me a picture of location ?

Can cos can't get underneath car just know that the middle of the front pipe is covered

UK Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many places oil can leak including the valve cover, oil pan, the turbo and it's oil supply and drain lines, the timing cover, or the front and rear crank seals.

CAn you elaborate on where exactly you're seeing the oil>

I had an injector leak but fixed so deisel on top but it's really bad around the drivers side and on the exhaust but centre of sump is bone dry

Is it on the left or right side of the engine? How far back and how high? A picture would be best.

Half way up and seems to be all over the middle of the front pipe

Can you upload pictures showing as much as possible?

It's hard to take photo as I don't have a ramp to get underneath

Do u know what the worst it could be

Worst case scenario would be a hole in the block but I'm sure that's not the case.

There are many places oil can leak from. It could be coming from the valve cover, head gasket, the turbo, the turbo oil feed or oil return lines, the oil pan gasket, rear main seal, possibly the front crank seal or cam seals.

All I can see is that the exhaust is covered in oil so no idea

If it's not something you're able to diagnose and repair on your own any independent shop or dealer should have no trouble locating and repairing the leak.

It's definitely coming from higher than there. The oil pan is completely covered; judging from this I would expect the oil pan gasket is leaking or possibly the valve cover is leaking onto it from above.

Is it the oil valve cover if so where is it on the car

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician