Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Bmw E60 engine oil pressure low. Why and how to overcome it?

Customer Question

Category: UK Car
Expert:  ggrote1 replied 1 year ago.

can you tell me what year this BMW is ?

did this problem start out of the blue one day ?

is the oil clean and full ?

has anything been done yet to correct this problem yet ?

was anything done to where now you have this problem ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BMW year 2007. Engine model N52. Notice the valve cover had sludge. I cleaned it and change the engine oil. I also notice that the engine oil cover is dry and not oily. I diagnosed the car and show "Engine oil low pressure". Diagnostic also shown that oil temperature show more than 100degree celcius. What is the normal oil temperature? Now the diagnostic also show this
1) 9C54
IHKA : AUC sensor
2) 9C79
IHKA : Water valve, left
3) 9C7A
IHKA : Water valve, right
What is wrong with the vehicle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I use Castrol engine oil fully synthetic 0/40W. Is it ok?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

another expert here

0W40 is allowed for hot climates but 5W40 is also a reccommended spec so it may be worth trying that as the next step

and yes 100 degrees C for oil temp is fine it when its over 125 you have to worry

now if a drain, refill with 5W40 and a fresh oil filter doesn't help I'd say the next step is to plumb in a mechanical pressure gauge to confirm if the oil pressure really is low and its not just a faulty sensor

if its really low then the next step should be to remove the sump and replace the oil pump

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you