UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I've got a 2010 Ford Focus rs mk2. The windscreen washers…

Customer Question
I've got a 2010 Ford...
I've got a 2010 Ford Focus rs mk2. The windscreen washers have stopped working. At first the the front wipers would sweep 3 times when you pressed the button and the rear wiper would sweep once when you pressed the button but the pump was silent. Soon the wipers stopped sweeping as well. So anyway checked all the fuses and they were fine so I thought the pump had gone. Changed the pump today for a new one and still not working. When pump is in place nothing happens and wipers don't sweep. With pump isn't in place and I have a volt meter in there or even nothing the wipers do sweep. Have also checked all contacts and plugs and sprayed with contact spray, makes no difference.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Car
I should add that according to the volt meter I am getting about 12V across the pump contacts. so it seems to me that the buttons on the stalk are working, the fuses are ok, I am getting voltage to the pump contacts but for whatever reason the pump won't go (headlamp washer pump won't go either) and the wipers will only sweep when the washer button is pressed if the pump isn't in the circuit.
2/15/2016
UK Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The washer pump is controlled by the module that is part of the wiper motor assembly.

I suspect that you may have a poor ground to the module and washer pump. The pump and module both share a common ground, lack of proper ground to the motor would explain what you're seeing with the wipers sweeping without the pump motor present, and the pump motor not running although it has 12v.

Can you either load test the grounds on the two black/green wires at the motor, the black/green wire at the washer pump, or try adding a redundant ground to at least one of these locations to see if anything changes?

Thanks for answer, could you explain your answer a bit better please?Could you explain how I load test the ground and what I should be looking for?Also could you tell me the location of the existing ground for this circuit as I don't know where it is?If I have to add a redundant ground how should I do that?The car is back together now as I have to use it for work so is there any way to do these tests without taking wheel arch liner and wash bottle out?

A load test would be done with a headlamp bulb and two jumper wires. One jumper wire would go to battery positive, the other end to a terminal on the bulb. The second jumper wire would go from the bulb to the ground wire. This should light the bulb as brightly as if it was connected to the battery. If it's dim or doesn't light at all then you have a ground issue.

Ok, thanks. I have a multimeter if that is better to check this than a bulb. If i use that what should i look for?Could you tell me where the location of the ground connection for the washer circuit is please? The wiring diagram says its on the A Pillar but nothing more than that and I'm having problems finding it.Also you didn't explain how to set up a redundant ground if I need that. Can you tell me how to do that?

A voltmeter wouldn't be accurate for this which is why I recommended a redundant ground or load test. For a redundant ground you would just apply ground to the circuit with a jumper wire.

Before spending the time digging or possibly disturbing something looking for the ground I would recommend doing the testing.

HiThere is a black and yellow wire and a black and white wire going to the motor but no black and green wire. Not sure which is the earth but I think it is the black and yellow wire.With the jumper leads connected to the battery positive and probed into either wire the bulb lights when you press the button for the washers. What does this mean?Presumably going by what you said above, if the bulb is lighting the ground is ok and the problem is elsewhere?

What motor are you testing at?

The windscreen washer motor. If you probe the headlamp washer motor the bulb lights even without the washer button being pressed.

Ground is present at that point then. Does the bulb light as brightly as if connected to the battery?

just the same.

Do you see the same wire at the wiper motor?

Can't seem to get anything at the wiper motor. Bit confusing as the wipers are working fine.

Your first post said the wipers were not working?

when I pressed the washer button. They're working fine otherwise. I explained how they would sweep without the pump in place and wouldn't when it was.

At the wiper motor do you have ground on the gray/brown wire with the washer switch held?

No, couldn't seem to get one.

Locate the same wire at the switch and see if it has ground there.