UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My ka sportsnhas been on 2 diagnostic machines they both say…

Customer Question
Hi my ka sportsnhas been...
Hi my ka sportsnhas been on 2 diagnostic machines they both say nothingvwrong yet when im driving its like i have ran out of petrolcar just dies on me five mins later startsagain goes a couple mile and does the same again [email protected] 2 different ones cant identify whats wrong with it im baffled can you help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Car
2/13/2016
UK Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You may have quite a few things going on. I'm assuming that no fault codes were found, in which case you most likely aren't losing spark alone.

A loss of fuel pressure will usually cause the engine to hesitate or lack power as it dies rather than feeling like the key was shut off. A loss of fuel pressure would most likely be the pump but could be a loss of power or ground to it.

Does the engine die abruptly like the key was shut off or does it hesitate?

UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 2 years ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello

this sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,

Ideally measure the pressure at the injectors and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

THANKYOU I THINK YOUR RIGHT IT DOES HESITATE TO STOP IT FEELS AS IF CAR IS RUNNING OUT OF PETROL WHRN THERES PLENTY OF PETROL IN IT HOW MUCH WOULD IT BE TO HAVE REPAIRED HOW MUCH FOR RELAY SWITCH AND FUSE TO BE REPAIRED AND ALSO FUEL FILTER WHAT WOULD BE THE COST TO HAVE THAT DONE PLEASE AND THANKYOU FOR YOUR ADVICE

hello

to replace a filter is about 0.5 hours labour and £20 in parts

and is the relay is faulty then this about £5 in parts and 10 mins to swop

I'd bank on a small garage needing about an hour to test the fuel pressure , fit a new filter if required

if the pump is faulty though this is bit more expensive (about £120 in parts) and an hour to fit

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you