Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

I have a problem with my starter inhibitor relay. I clipped

Customer Question

Hello I have a problem with my starter inhibitor relay. I clipped the two red/white wires to bypass my immobiliser, and now the battery is empty every morning.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: ok. It is a ldv convoy 2003, duratorq engine.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought I could bypass my immobiliser by snipping two wires on the starter inhibitor relay, the yellow relay that is located underneath the ashtray on the dashboard. It kind of worked. But, I need to put the wires back onto the relay, to prevent the battery from constantly running on empty, as the wires continually suck power if they don't get CUT OFF by the yellow relay.There are:
2 double red/white wires (which you connect to bypass the immobiliser)
1 double black (earth)
1 double white (presumably the immobiliser itself)On the relay are the numbers
30
85
86
87I tested the red/white wires with a multimeter and it appears that ONE of the, in total, FOUR red/white wires runs a voltage (12v), the other three don't. Presumably the live one is the Constant that needs 'cutting off'.Normally on relays:85 is earth, black
87 is application, ie immobiliser, white (I am presuming..)
30 is the live red/white wire
86 is the red/white wire that triggers 87 to get powerHowever, in this configuration, my battery STILL is empty the next morning.So should one set of red/white wires go to 87, and the white wires to 86 then??Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is on an LDV with the Duratorq turbo engine
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I see no one here has posted a diagram on this model here on how these wires are connected to this relay.In some cases this can be due to the info being difficult to obtain or the correct person that may have this info may not be online.The best place to get the diagrams you need for this here is from a dealer or repair center that works on this model here.If this is not an option for you here or if this was already attempted let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete