Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Where is the lift pump and is it a big job to fit it on my

Customer Question

where is the lift pump and is it a big job to fit it on my 2001 e320 mercedes
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: car died on the motorway got towed off by AA they started it but not running right I took tank out of car and cleaned it out. Fitted new filter now plenty diesel at filter but won't start.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mercedes Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

the lift pump is inside the fuel tank

its accessed by removing the back seat cushion and removing the access panel in the bulkhead

this will reveal the fuel pump module which includes the level sensor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have cleaned the tank and found no pump now l would like to know if the high pressure pump is coded and the low pressure one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just want to know if the high pressure injector pump and the low pressure one are coded and nead computer to set up
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Ok only the injectors are coded so you can swap the pump with impunity

however on some versions of the pump the (rotary type) then you need the diagnostic tool to set the timing up , so no coding is required just some specialist tools to set it up

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you