UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a dodge Calibre 2006 and the driver door is stuck…

Customer Question
I have a dodge...

I have a dodge Calibre 2006 and the driver door is stuck shut .. I think I nee to replace the module , but to do that I need to get door open !!

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The Other doors work fine , the only door with issue is the RHS ( its a UK model)

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Car
I need to know how to
A) Open the door manually ( overriding the deadlock )
OR
B) Get the door off without opening it !
The mechanism appears to work, the pin goes up and down and the door handles move the levers in the latch ( have taken cover off inside door )
Have Tried WD40 , warming with hair dryer , repetitive opening and closing ,,, no deal
1/27/2016
UK Auto Mechanic: Joe, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

This means that either the lock rods are not unlocking the latch (disconnect the rods and manually move on the latch to unlock), if that does not work this means there is an actual problem with the latch, you will need to create a way to get the latch to open which usually requires a screwdriver and forcing the latch open (from inside the door), in some cases the latch will need to be cut open to get it to release.

The best place to start is by disconnecting all rods from the latch and working the lock manually on it and the release which will eliminate the rods, locks and handles.

That's pretty much it, there's no special way to get the door open as it will require manually hands on approach to get the latch open, some can be a real bugger.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.

JoeI already tried manually moving all of the rods etc
There are three connections to the latch
1) From the External Handle
2) From the internal Handle
3) from the Lock/ unlock button ( the one that pops up and down)Are you saying that the part of the latch that is connected to the lock/ unlock button is the problem?
It seems to move ok and the button pops up and down when you use the remote or the internal lock button
I have disconnected it from the rod and moved manually, does not want to go any further ( and doesnt unlock)Or are you saying that I am going to have to just get in there with a chisel and destroy the latch from the inside??

In that case your options are unfortunately very limited and there is no real this way or that to get it open. Best things to try which I believe you already have is put the straw of a can of penetrating oil spray inside of the latch and fill it with the lube, if this still does not allow it to function then about your last option is to open the latch housing and get it to release from the door jamb lug, once you access the arm that latches around the lug you can force it up so long as the lock is not what is the problem and then you just have to force the lock to unlock within the latch.

What you want to do is actually disconnect each of the 3 rods to the latch, this is because one can be bent and or another partly and causing it to not allow it to work, so please be sure to disconnect all 3 rods/connections for the locks and handles.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe
Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician