UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Boosted engine using booster pack, disconnected the

Customer Question
booster pack and the engine...

booster pack and the engine died, put the booster back on the engine and started it, left it running for longer, disconnected the booster pack and the engine died again. reconnected the booster pack and the engine would not turn over but relays were clicking. replaced battery and relays and still wont start. when the key is in the ignition and turned to the run position the gear selector does not tell me what gear the van is in. as well the steering wheel will not lock with the key out of the ignition. the rad fan will run constantly with or without the key in the ignition, unless fuse is pulled this started only after 3rd time starting the van.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/22/2016
UK Auto Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 2 years ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

the alternator is not working that is why the engine dies without the boost. low voltage is causing most of your issues. charge the battery first and then start and then we can check the alternotr for output voltage

Roy

it was also -25 so i didnt think the alternator would push out enough power to keep it running but it has a brand new fully charged battery that was put in and the same results happend. we are trying to figure out why it wont start its almost like a starter kill security system but there is no security system in the van.

there is no voltage to keep the engine running. the alternator should provide the voltage to do this.

Roy

Relist: Incomplete answer.
UK Auto Mechanic: camerontech, Auto Mechanic replied 2 years ago
camerontech
camerontech, Auto Mechanic

hi there,

im cam a licenced diagnostic tech

do you have any trouble codes in the system.

also... have you checked the grounds? not just at the battery, but at the engine and body?

No check engine light is on and no codes show up when you do the key trick. I have not checked the grounds anywhere else. the way it started the first 2 times It would not be a ground unless somehow it came disconnected. the next thing i am going to try is check to see if i have power at the starter.

Ground to engine was checked and is good, no power to the starter solenoid wire, power at the ignition switch, with the key off there is only power to one post on the relay in the fuse box. code reader tells me obd2 can not connect. I am thinking its the ecm I am going to try unplug it and see if the rad fan shuts off if it does then il know thats what it is.