Richard, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  12 years as a technician at a Ford and Jaguar dealer Ford and Jaguar factory certified
10437779

RCHARD, A POST HEAR AND ALSO HAVE A X TYPE 2.5V6 AUTO.

Customer Question

HI RCHARD,
I AM READING A POST HEAR AND ALSO HAVE A X TYPE 2.5V6 AUTO.
PROBLEM IS ITS NOT EVEN TRYING TO FIRE THE RED LIGHT ON THE CENTRE CONSOL STAY RED FOR A FEW SECONDS THEN GOES OUT AND THE ONLY LIGHTS ON SHIFTER IS THE R. ANY IDEAS WHERE TO START?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

So the engine will not crank at all? Does the vehicle power up normally with the ignition ON? The shifter will release from park with the ignition ON and foot on the brake but the P is not lite up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the engine will not crank, the vehicle powers up when ignition is on, the shifter does release with the ignition on and the p does not lite up, should not it has been sitting around for a while aswell as had to charge the battery.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

OK the P not lighting up may be a problem but usually the shifter will not release from park unless the interlock is bad. See if the shifter will move out of park without your foot on the brake. Just use the parking brake and get ready to hit the foot brake to make sure it does not roll. I then recommend we check all the fuses for battery voltage on both sides as this will check to see if any are blown and will also check the system power relays to make sure they are working. Also please confirm the battery is fully charged. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi Richard
The vehicle Does not move out the shifter with the brake not applied, I took the battery out and charged it, but what I did notice is the shifter is stiff to move!! could this be an issue?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Yes it is possible that the shifter is not all the way in park. We need to remove the black metal cover on the bottom of the transmission and check the cable and linkage to see if it is fully engaged into park.