Robert
Robert, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Have you ever heard of a power steering fault with the Note

Customer Question

Hi
Have you ever heard of a power steering fault with the Note where the steering wheel turns but the car will not change direction and continues in a straight line?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

Was this a sudden failure of the steering?

Has any parts of the steering control been checked upto now to see which parts failed?

Does the steering wheel still transfer movement down from the column to the joint/shaft that goes through the floor to steering rack do you know?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiYes it was a sudden failure. Luckly I was not doing any speed. Just crawling upto traffic lights.I got it to a Nissan dealer straight away. It's only 18months old so under warranty. Diagnostic showed no fault. So they did all the manual checks of the wheel nuts bolts to the steering rack etc. The mechanic could not replocater the fault in the test drive so they have released it back to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I experienced the failure, there was no response to full turns of the wheel in both cw and acw directions. The car is an automatic 1.2 Petrol by the way.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Naturally I am still quite concerned as a loss of steering could have been fatal.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hii.there sorry for the delayed responce..

Certainly sounds like a similar problem associated on Note models around 2008..there was recall on them with regards ***** ***** loss of steering..as detailed below..could be something to maybe bring up with the dealer to lookinot if this problem also effects this year too.For complete loss of any effort in steering would mean that something has come loose or worn or partically worn ina certain psotion. hence maybe a issue in the steering rack?..and by the sounds of what you have said the dealer has inspected all those..There isnt really any common known / safety issue flagged up as an issue with the steering problem you describe bar what ive mentioned above with reagrds to the recall but id say that all those effected vehicles will now be fixed as a result...I do hope this helps

Reference :R/2015/135

Manufacturer Ref :PG5B7

Make:NISSAN

Model : Note & Micra

Launch Date : 04/08/2015

Numbers Involved :6973

Build Start Date :27/06/2008

Build End Date :07/10/2008

Recall Details

Concern :LOSS OF STEERING CONTROL

Description :The lower pinion needle bearing may have been omitted during manufacture of the steering gear due to insufficient controls in the suppliers manufacturing process. It is possible the pinion may disengage from the steering gear with loss of steering control.

Remedial Action : On affected vehicles inspect and where necessary replace rack.

Vehicle Id : - SJN2CAK12U7003126 to SJNFEAK12U3084302
SJNFAAE11U1291246 to SJNFDAE11U1304268