Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

Rob, I have a 2008 ML320. The warning display is showing

Customer Question

Hi Rob, I have a 2008 ML320. The warning display is showing that the driver door is open when it is not and is showing the warning "vehicle is not in position P" when driving. Also battery light came on this morning and doors where locking and unlocking while driving.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since I wrote the above, the warning display started showing that both front doors were open when I was driving and then the door lock on the passenger front started 'clicking' like it was trying to open and close! I had to lock the jeep by opening the rear door, getting in and manually locking the driver door then getting out and locking the jeep with the keyfob. This locked it fully bit when I came back to the carpark the hazards were flashing and the drivers door was open again. Then on the drive home the tail gate 'opened' (it didn't fully open but the door was half released when I stopped) and by this time the warning display was showing both front door and the tail gate as open even though they weren't and I was driving. I have since parked it up and locked the doors by manually pushing down the drivers door lock from the back and then using the keyfob and it has stayed locked for the last couple of hours (fingers crossed).
Just to let you know in case it helps, the tail gate used to make a noise like it was pulling it in tighter when I closed it but for the last 6 months or so it stopped doing that, it closed all right but it stopped sounding like it was pulling it in tight so maybe this is the original lock that started failing? I'm just hoping this is a lock problem and not an electrical fault?!!
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

With all of these doors you have above acting up this doesnt sound like a lock asembly itself at fault.This sounds like an issue with one of the SAM control units/ECU's acting up.I have seen the front SAM cause issues like this here needing replaced to correct this fault.Once it is replaced a dealer or authorized repair center has to program it to operate properly with an SDS machine plugged into your vehicle.

What has to be done from here is to have the fault codes checked to see what codes are set.This needs done with either a dealers SDS machine or a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set will need diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here.If you can get the codes read out and post them here this will help.

The issues with the rear tailgate is usually the latch itself.This is a common component that was known to act up and fail causing the tail gate pull in issue here.There is a slight chance this latch on the tail gate acting up may be causing the other lock issues with a signal fault from the latch in the tail gate and that the tail gate latch itself may be the only component needing replaced.I have had to replace this latch several times before on this model for electrical issues similar to this here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete, I have sent the jeep to a garage to be put on the diagnostic computer today. When I get the codes I'll get back to you. Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,let me know what codes they come up with here and if you need anything else.

Thanks Pete