UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

I appear to be having the same issues as outlined in the

Customer Question
Hi there - I appear...
Hi there - I appear to be having the same issues as outlined in the http://www.justanswer.com/audi/2calk-2001-audi-tt-quattro-225hp-sputtering-heavy-acceleration.html#ixzz3vkGjAVrJ thread. Mine is a 2000 Audi TT Quattro 225hp. I have already replaced the clutch, the flywheel, the air filter and the MAF (all within the last 2 weeks and 250 miles) - took it out for the first spin today after the MAF and air filter replacement, and after initially seeing an improvement in acceleration and responsiveness, the old gremlins reappeared... it started sputtering and losing power. Normally it runs smoothly at idle, but when the sputtering begins, the idle is not as smooth - not a massive variance... maybe a max of 200rpm... but noticeable both by ear and by feel. Any ideas / suggestions would be hugely appreciated. Thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/29/2015
UK Auto Mechanic: FixItMan, Master Technician replied 1 year ago
FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. Can you tell me if the check engine light is coming on when this issue occurs? How many miles are on the car?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Bobby - thanks for the response. The engine light does not come on, and the car has 104k miles.

And is it doing this pretty much every time you drive it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yep - without fail for the past 2 weeks or so... I drive it Monday to Friday for my 10 mile each way commute.

Thank you. One last question so that I can see where we can go with this. Does you scan tool read live engine data?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What scan tool? I don't have a scan tool...
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could it be either the ignition coils or the spark plugs themselves?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Or that I run it on "normal" 95 octane unleaded?

If you still have the original spark plugs then it can be those. Also, if the timing belt has not been replaced then that is a common cause of this when it gets stretched out.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Timing belt was changed at 90k miles... so shouldn't be that. I'll change the coils and plugs and see how we get on.

I typically do not recommend just replacing coils as that gets expensive. I would replace the plugs and fuel filter first and see what that does.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay - thanks... fingers crossed that solves something.

Let me know what happens.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay - plugs replaced, with no improvement in performance unfortunately... the sputtering remains I also found that there was a lot of oil in the spark plug chamber (between the coils and the top of the spark plug - not in the combustion chamber itself). The coils were well coated, and when I was extracting the plug, my socket was well coated. See attached pic.

Did you replace the coils also or just the plugs? I only ask because this oil can short out the coils.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Only the plugs...

The reason I ask is because the oil that was in the spark plug tubes will cause the coils to work harder and can cause these issues. I hate to just replace coils though. Were the rubber boots on the coils soft?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I didn't pay much attention to the boots either way to be honest... I don't recall noticing them as being either hard or soft. Do you feel a coil replacement and a thorough cleaning of the area to be in order?

If anything at least spraying the boots out with elecectrical cleaner.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay - so over the weekend I replaced both rocker cover gaskets, and I also removed, thoroughly cleaned and replaced all spark plugs (again) and ignition coils. I did pay particular attention to the coils, and I noted that the rubber boots were soft. Since this work, the car has improved somewhat - instead of it driving badly 80% of the time and driving well 20% of the time, it is now driving well 80% of the time, and driving badly 20% of the time. Have you any further thoughts?

How is the car idling at this time?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When it is running well (now 80% of the time), the idle is smooth and level at approx. 800rpm. When it is not running well (now 20% of the time), the idle is erratic across a very narrow band - between maybe 750rpm and 900rpm.

During the work you have performed on the vehicle have you ever removed and checked the PCV valve?

FixItMan
FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician