UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

2001 S-type 3.0L automatic transmission car won't start even

Customer Question
Customer: Hello,2001 S-type 3.0L automatic...
Customer: Hello,2001 S-type 3.0L automatic transmission car won`t start even it turns cranck. What can I do to have engine running? I should also say 10 days ago my car had a overheat problem and engine had power loss and most probably it will need rebuilt because it had engine oil light on and some strange noise while running. I need you Professional recommendations and thank you in advance for that.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Hello Richard,
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Jaguar Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: 2001 S-type 3.0L automatic transmission car won`t start even it turns cranck. What can I do to have engine running? I should also say 10 days ago my car had a overheat problem and engine had power loss and most probably it will need rebuilt because it had engine oil light on and some strange noise while running. I need you Professional recommendations and thank you in advance for that. My problem is that Sure I can wait a bit. I am here for your assistance. Thansk.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Car
I am on board for your help. And as far as I see my credit card had been charged for almost 30USD. thanks.
I guess, I also should inform my e-mail address: ***@******.*** . Thanks.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/28/2015
UK Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the engine had been overheated to the point the oil light was staying on and there was abnormal noise then there is definitely internal damage. The overheating could have damaged the heads, block, pistons, rods, bearings and crankshaft. If it was knocking with the oil light on it was because oil pressure is low due to catastrophic damage. The damage may be the cause of the engine not starting now.

I wouldn't really consider trying to rebuild the engine if it was overheated to that point as it won't be cost effective. By the time you pay for parts, labor and machine shop work, even if your block and heads are reusable, it will be cheaper to replace the engine with a remanufactured or used one.

Dear Sprinkles08
Thank you for your answer. You are rigt that there had been internal damage in the engine due to overheat and naturally oil pressure is low.I should say when the engine had overheat problem it had run in next 10 days. Of course we did not run it in this position so long. We just run it to move very small distances to park and/or to change its position. After that 10 days it stoped to running even it turns cranck. My mechanics has some suspicions if this situation will continue after rebulding engine. That is why he is not intended to remove the engine from the car before understanding that running problem; no start even it turns cranck. He prefers to have the same conditions (starting engine running eventhouh with knocking) like 10 days ago when we had this problem first. If you think this running problem will be removed after rebulding or changing the the engine then he will continue feasibility evaluation with removing the engine from the car. He wants to be sure why the engine is not running (no start even it turns cranck) now although it was running 10 days ago when the engine had this problem first. I should say the engine run 2 or 3 times between first overheat problem (engine damage) and this no running (no start even it turns cranck) situation.My mechanic will evaluate which is more feasible, to change it with a remanufactured one or rebulding it after examinning the actual engine and its position. By the way it is very costy to import a remanufactured one in Turkey, and you cannot import a used one in Turkey. So rebulding might be an option in Turkey situations. We hope we will solve the problem with changing bearings with some restoration actions and gaskets. This will be apperent after dintalling and examininig the actual engine.Thank you in advance for your valuable reply and recommendations.Regards.

If the engine has been overheated that bad then there will be damage to the block and heads, likely the pistons. These will all need to be closely inspected for damage, straightness, and pressure tested at a machine shop.

Dear sprinkles08,It is sure that these will all need to be closely inspected for damage, straightness, and pressure tested at a machine shop and all will be done and will be decided accordingly.Our question is `Why the engine is not running (no start even it turns cranck) now although it was running 10 days ago when the engine had this problem first, although the engine run 2 or 3 times between first overheat problem (engine damage) and this no running (no start even it turns cranck) situation`. Is it due to first overheat problem or is there any different problem now?Thanks.

Yes, it's very possibly due to the overheat issue because it was overheated and driven to the point of catastrophic damage.

What has been done to try to diagnose the no start condition?

Is there spark?

Is there fuel pressure?

Is there injector pulse?

Has compression been tested?

We did not have OBDII test device in hand. So we ordered and most possibly we will have it next week from USA.
It is `Jaguar Land Rover JLR IDS DVD V131 Calibration Files Diagnostic Software SDD and J2534 interface cable combination`. Do you recommend us to wait for it to diagnose or do you have others recommedations to diagnose on spark, fuel pressure, injector pulse, compression?

You can check fuel pressure and for spark, these along with checking for fault codes are the first steps in diagnosing a no start condition. If fuel pressure and spark are actually present then the problem is almost surely an engine mechanical concern, and the next step would be to test compression. These are elementary steps that the shop should have known, if they're incapable of diagnosing a no start condition then having them replace or rebuild the engine may not be the best idea.

You are very right on your question but unfortunatelly there is no reliable Jaguar repair shop in Turkey. In deed we had this overheat problem upon a Jaguar mechanics. We had catalitic converter choked up engine check problem and that Jaguar professional mechanics recommended to add additive in to gasoline and to use the car at highway at speed 160-170km/h for 20 minutes and unfortunately I trusted in that guy and did it. While I am doing that I was very careful on prm of the engine rather than heat gauge. Meanwile the car lost the power immediatelly and stoped the engine saying `power loss and overheat` warning on computer screen. So I have no trust on Jaguar mechanics in Turkey and in deed they are olny 4 or 5 shops and they are all the same, unreliable. So I requested help from my US car (mainly off road) mechanics which I know him more than 10 years and have a lot services for my Chevrolet Blazer car. Because he is not very Professional in Jaguar he has some doubts before entering detailed, saying that Jaguar is very specially designed car (especially on electrics and electronics and system control). For instance it is his idea to be sure on that problem not to have even after rebuilt or change the engine. I am sure he will do his best even he is not a Jaguar car Professional. He will only need olny helps on electrics, electronics and system control of Jaguar, he will do all perferctly all necessary mechanical things. So I ordered a diagnosis device (OBDII device especially for Jaguar) and get in contact with you to give help to him.

I wasn't aware that the engine had previously been diagnosed with a restricted catalytic converter. If it had already been diagnosed with an exhaust restriction and the affected converter was not replaced then that may be the only issue causing the no start now. If spark and fuel are present then the exhaust restriction needs to be looked at as a possible cause for the no start now.

You mean catalytic converter got worse position meantime especially after overheat and high rpm drive and may couse no start now. Did I understand correctly?

The restricted catalytic converter may be preventing the engine from starting. When a converter becomes restricted it prevents exhaust from flowing out of the engine and if it isn't replaced then it will progress to a no start situation.

Thank you. Do you recommend to change catalytic converters (because 2 of them had problem) prior ro unistalling and beginning examinning of the engine position to decide to rebuilt or change it. We have 2 new catalytic converters in hand now.
By the way, can you supply mentioned engine parts (will be known after examining the demaged engine) or a used one (around 100.000km or preferably less) to us. We are located in Istanbul, Turkey.

If the catalytic converters are restricted they will need to be replaced. If there is mechanical noise from the engine then there is an internal failure regardless but the converters may be the cause of the no start.

JustAnswer is a question/answer site no parts are sold through the site. I can help locate a used engine in the US if necessary but wouldn't have a way of supplying it or arranging it's delivery.

It is good to have your help locating a used engine in the US then after we can carry our communication with them. Supplying it or arranging it's delivery will be our issue with the partner you point out. Or this will be our another business with you by our e-mail addresses rather than by JustAnswer is you prefer.

Let me know if you do decide to replace the engine and I can help locate a good replacement.

to decide on replacment the engine we should get in contact now to know its possibility and cost to decide. For me it is good idea to have your help locate a good replacement. It may be seen more feasible even prior to examining the demaged engine as you guess and expected at the beginning of our conversation. So we kindly request your help locate a good replacement better now.

Do you have a price range you're looking to stay in?

between 400-600USD only complete engine without any auxilaries. Sure we will have other costs such as handling, cleaning and refurbishing cosmetic appearance (by some detergents and chamicals) of the engine and shipping (preferable postage shipping by sea) to be able to import to Turkey.Below link may be good candidates for the purpose (it is UK):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2002-JAGUAR-S-TYPE-3-0-V6-ENGINE-/161737085346?hash=item25a84811a2:m:miCGIqadsXI3xn6y4fz4F8Q&vxp=mtr
Sure we will have other importation cost after received in our customs, such as tax, duty, VAT, operation fees...etc. Totally almost 450 USD.

Do you have the VIN?

VIN: SAJAA02L41FL97043.

I'm showing two different engines in the US available with a N or C in the 8th position of the VIN, yours is an L. Let me research this and get back to you.

Thanks. I am looking forward to your reply after your seach? Are you in US?

Yes, I am in the US.

See this site.

Enter your model year, vehicle and engine size and then pick engine from the drop down menu. You don't have to enter a postal code. Click to sort by price. Using the VIN, pick ' from VIN L86902', the top option. Click to search and this will give you nationwide coverage for many salvage yards here in the US. Prices, mileage and notes will be shown as well as contact information for each. If you're wanting to spend just the small amount on the engine you'll need to be careful on what you buy. The lowest priced ones will have higher mileage, may have damage, and will be less likely to have any warranty. If you see the notes on them in the $3-400 range you'll note damage, low compression, and high mileage.

Are those miles in the listing real US miles or KM. Jaguar has generally KM gauges? I will try tı chose accordingly.

These are all in miles since they're in the US.

I seached a bit that page. I remembered that web. I had seached engine for my old car 1998 Camaro.
I summarized in attached table. Could you please evaluate and recommend me to which ones I should get in contact. Red ones are prefered ones by me but your reccomendation has value for that. I hope they will ship to Turkey by sea postage and
handle, clean and refurbish cosmetic appearance (by some detergents and chamicals) as if it is remanufactured or new otherwise we cannot import to Turkey. I could not find any engine with VIN L, 8th digit. Majority is VIN N, 8th digit and some rare VIN T, 8th digit. Is it a big problem if it is VIN N, 8th digit for our replacement?I should say may demaged engine has 115.000km (almost 71.000 miles) and was in very good condition. Also the car is actually is in very good condition.

It doesn't appear that the VIN character will be an issue. The service information doesn't list more than one engine available, and your VIN is higher than the cutoff specified on the site.

If it was me and I had the money I would pick one of the higher priced ones at the top of your list because of the low mileage. The low priced ones at the bottom, and ones with high mileage, are the most likely to have problems. I don't know that any of these companies are going to be able to honor a warranty out of the country, you don't want to buy a low priced engine and have it shipped to find it has problems.

One of the deciding factors will be whether they will ship to you. I would contact these locations and see if they're able to ship to you, and start narrowing it down that way.

Your kind supports are highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
On their listing they all claim the condition is very good, run and tested. So I collected this table upon thier claims. If those claims are not true what can I do further. I have to trust their words. Sure I will double check in my communication with them by photos and promises.For example
2002 Engine Jaguar S Type RUNS GOOD 105.000 A J1155 $255 A Partsmart Inc. E-mail 1-***-***-****
2001 Engine Jaguar S Type 70K 70.000 A 1 $300 KD Auto Dismantling USA-CA 1-***-***-****
2002 Engine Jaguar S Type 3.0L,EFI,AT,RWD,Factory 0 A 697323 $375 ECO Green Auto Parts
2001 Engine Jaguar S Type 3.0 AT LESS/THB 60K NEEDS PAN SEE NOTES 60.000 A 35750 $350 All Foreign Auto Parts USA-PA(Pittsburgh) Request_Quote 1-***-***-**** Request_Insurance_Quote
2001 Engine Jaguar S Type 3.0,AOD,FWD,NO START ELEC PROB 74.000 A E29914 $500 Ernies Auto Parts USA-MI(Harrison-Township) E-mail 1-***-***-****
2001 Engine Jaguar S Type 3.0L, from VIN L86902 (VIN N, 8th digit) 66.000 M07636 $542.37 Evergreen Recycling USA-AZ(Tucson) Request_Quote(###) ###-####Request_Insurance_Quotethose listings seem to be nice. Those are not at high mileage, 105.000 (ok reletively high), 70.000, even 0 (factory), 60.000, 74.000, 66.000 , those are in acceptable health of engine for a Jag engine millege. Mine was at 71.000 millege and was wonderfull.

Unless they find that it doesn't start or there is damage they're going to say the engine is good. Outside of these things they don't know what condition the engine is in internally or what maintenance it has had. I would go with the lowest mileage engine possible as the budget allows.

Thank you, ***** ***** then. I sent some e-mails
0 (??) mileage $375 ECO Green Auto Parts,
70.000 mileage $300 KD Auto Dismantling USA
60.000 mileage $350 All Foreign Auto Parts USA
74.000 mileage $500 Ernies Auto Parts USA (I guess I sent, but not 100% sure)
66.000 mileage $542.37 Evergreen Recycling USA (I guess I sent, but not 100% sure)
to check the conditions and their words.

I hope you're able to get one if you need it!

I will inform you about improvements.
Thanks.

You're welcome!

You would contact these locations and see if they're able to ship to us, and start narrowing it down that way. Will you proced in this way.

If you decide to replace the engine rather than repair it then yes, you'll need to contact each of the prospective places and see if they're willing to ship to you.

Will you also contact with some that you prefer according to your experiences? They might be more positive to you rather than us, I guess.

Contacting the salvage yards on your behalf and being a go between isn't something I'd really be able to do. You'd need to contact them, arrange for shipping and payment, etc.

OK then , I will proceed as you recommend. Thanks.

You're welcome!

Hello, I am very confident with your service. Could you please give me one more week to issue rating. I want to issue highest rating with you possible additional help on the issue within next week. Thank you for your patience and understanding.By the way there is no reply yet from any salvage company that I wrote to. Do you think this means they donot sent to Turkey? If you think this is thed case then we can arrange picking them up.

Let me know how it goes!

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician