sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I've got a Corsa d. The heater stopped working. I che ked

Customer Question

I've got a Corsa d. The heater stopped working. I che ked the climate control resistor and both plugs into it were melted. I replaced the climate control resistor pack and it worked again. But as plugs were burnt I cut them off and put new connectors on. 4 individual ones. The heater now won't work. Fan runs on direct power from spare battery.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuses 30 & 31 have no visible breaks in them.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the blower motor worked until the connectors were replaced then you almost certainly have a poor connection at one or more splices or the wires didn't get back to the correct pin locations on the replacement connectors.

How were the splices made?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I drew a diagram of the final stage resistor (hedgehog) and put dots to represent the four pins. I then plugged in each connector in turn and marked on the diagram what colour wire went to each pin. The replacement connectors are four individual identical non insulated spade connectors. I pushed the wires in one at a time and crimped them with crimpers. I found that the connector to the negative connection on the resistor was on at an angle and touching the positive pin. These are the wires that go to and from the blower motor. I assumed I had blown the resistor so I replaced it with another brand new one. I cut off the none insulated connectors and replaced them with insulated ones using the same procedure as before. Still didn't run. That's when I used a spare battery to test the blower motor works. It does. I'm now stuck for ideas. I would be surprised if the connectors were bad as the wires are very thick and had to be forced into the new connectors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you provide me with colour of the wires on the loom that correspond to the four pins in case I have incorrectly labelled them ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any other fuses or relays or resistors etc that I could have blown on the climate control system ?

You replaced terminals then rather than installing a new connector. The correct repair would be to replace the connector and solder the splices.

Unfortunately I don't have a wiring diagram for this vehicle.

Have you determined whether it's power or ground you're missing at the blower motor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know I should have used new connectors but am unable to source any. Easy to get for normal air con, even eBay do them, but not for climate control as connectors are different. Not sure how to determine if power or ground missing. Would I use a volt meter for that ? If yes what setting etc and how do I do it ?

You have automatic temperature control then, which uses a blower motor power module rather than a resistor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Err yes mate. I've said several times that it is climate control.

Climate control refers to the HVAC system in general but does not specify what system. You said that you replaced a resistor which an automatic temperature control system does not have, so I'm trying to determine exactly what system you have. ATC uses a power module.

To test for power at the blower motor you'll connect the alligator clip of a test light to chassis ground, turn the blower motor on and probe the terminals to the blower motor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll give that a try tomorrow morning. As for climate control or otherwise. Car manufactures call it air con if you turn a dial from blue to red for hotter or colder. They calm it climate control if you set a temperature to an exact number using a digital display.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The unit I have is the same as this item on eBay. 111856834396. I don't have a test light with alligator clips. I have a volt meter with 2 probes. So is it one to earth (car bodyshell ok ?) and the other to live terminal of blower motor. When you say turn on blower motor. I can turn blower speed from 1 to 7 on the controls, is that what you mean ?

Climate control refers to the HVAC system.

Automatic temperature control is where you set a specific degree temperature and the blower motor has variable speeds.

Manual temperature control has a four position blower motor speed knob and you aren't able to set a specific degree cabin temperature.

Air conditioning (a/c) is the system which cools the air in the heater box consisting of the a/c compressor, condenser, evaporator, expansion valve, and lines.

If you have variable blower motor speeds and are able to set a specific temperature then you have automatic temperature control.

A test light should be used but you can use a voltmeter if that's all you have. Turn the key on and blower motor on full.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. But where specifically should I place the 2 probes of the voltmeter as you did not answer that question. Also what voltage reading should I expect on the meter ?

The red and black wires go to the blower motor. The red should have power.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Yes red and black. Red is power. Do I put one probe on that ? If so where do I place the other probe ? What voltage should I expect to see on the meter ? Or does any voltage count as a good thing ? What should I check next if no power reaching the motor ?

Ground the black lead of the meter and set the meter to 20v DC, use the red lead for testing and let me know what you find.

If you find no power there then you'll need to check for power at the blower motor power module.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi just checked. No power at blower motor. No power at power module. What should I check next ?

You blew the blower motor fuse when the terminals shorted together. You most likely shorted the power module's power feed to it's ground supply. The problem is either a blown fuse or an open circuit in the wiring between the fuse and power module, but since you know you shorted wires together I'm sure you just blew the fuse rather than a wiring problem happening to start at the same time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The blower motor fuse - what's it location number in the fuse box ?

I don't readily have wiring information for this vehicle. Go ahead and check all fuses in the box if you're unsure and don't have the owner's manual. I can attempt to locate service information if necessary this evening.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked all of the fuses in the box. None appear to be blown. Can you check a d nfirm or me the fuses(s) location numbers and rating for each please. O

I will try to locate a wiring diagram and get back to you as quickly as I can.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi it's been over a day and no response from you. So far all you've advised me is blown fuse, maybe ? I told you in my very first message that I had checked the air con fuses at locations 30 & 31and they are ok. So far you have only really repeated what I've told you. This process has also taken 3 days to get to this point. Not impressed.

As I mentioned I do not have wiring information for this vehicle and am trying to locate it. The information is not available here for purchase like US vehicles.

I know that you mentioned checking fuses but due to the circumstances of how the problem started there is little chance that a fuse has not blown. I've had countless customers who said fuses have been checked only to find the fuse in question is blown. Through the testing I guided you through we found you're missing power at the blower motor power module, which has to be a wiring issue or blown fuse.

The blower motor fuse is fuse 28 in the engine compartment. This is the one you're concerned with.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What amp rating is fuse 28 supposed to be ?

30 amps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had all of the fuses in the box checked this morning. The tester was clipped to negative and positive terminals. Then a probe placed to each fuse in turn. All fuses work correctly.

The fuse should either be replaced with a known good one or removed and it's continuity checked with an ohm meter.

If the fuse is actually good and has power then there has to be an open circuit in the wiring between the fuse box and power module.