Greg
Greg, Shop Owner
Experience:  17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience,
29331485

Ive had a knocking which ive been told is diesel knock but

Customer Question

hi ive had a knocking which ive been told is diesel knock but nobody seems to be able to solve it, it started off a couple of months ago very sporadically then became permanent, a mechanic recently altered the timing and it stopped, then timing belt snappped , had new top end replaced but still knocking, is it the pump?
thanks
scudo 1.9d 2005
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Hi .

First you need to check for malfunction codes if the check engine light comes on .

If after the first time the knocking was solved with adjusting the timing belt then you may have a

out of timed engine , this would knock if the timing was out just one tooth .have this rechecked .

The engine light comes ON when the management system see's a malfunction with in the system .when the engine knocks the management system will trip on the check engine light and store a code , from this code this will be most likely your problem .

A engine compression test should be done if there are no codes relating to the knock , as a cylinder with low compression will give you a diesel knock .

Need any follow up help then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service.
This way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

If i do not get back to you then i may be off line, and when i get back online i will get back to you..

Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund.

If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .

Kind regards Greg.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Greg, does the fact that fuel cleaners briefly stopped it give any indication?
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

This is very possible a good indication that fuel could be bad , or bad injectors but i think you said they where replaced .

Greg