sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My Nissan Navara 2006 have the following codes P1820 Engine

Customer Question

Customer: My Nissan Navara 2006 have the following codes P1820 Engine Speed signal and C1103 FR RH Sensor-1 and the ABS warning light is on
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The 4WD wont engage, the issue started when the car was repaired after accident on the right hand side on the wheel, the wiring and all have been checked several times but no progress.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes i can wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

P1820 sets when the transfer case module isn't seeing a reliable engine speed signal. It receives this from the engine controller over the communication bus. If there are no codes set in the ECM, there are no bus communication issues and the code returns after it's cleared then the transfer case module is the most likely cause for this.

The speed sensor code could be setting because of the sensor itself, wiring and connections, a loose wheel bearing, or the ABS module itself. If the sensor has been replaced with a factory part then you should be able to rule it out. Make sure the wheel bearing is tight, if it's loose then it will create an erratic signal and could even damage the sensor.

If the bearing and sensor are ok then the most likely cause is wiring. If the circuits have been load tested and tested for shorts to power and ground and are truly ok then the issue would have to be the ABS module, but it's unlikely.