Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My 1978 Sl 450 just came back from service, oil change,

Customer Question

Hi Michael
My 1978 Sl 450 just came back from service, oil change, distributor ajustment ++ and smokes terribly. The oil is at the top mark on the dip stick. Could that be it or could it be the distributersettings?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

The first thing to ask is what oil did they fill it with?

as if its too thin then is more readily drawn past the rings and seals and burnt in the engine, if this

is OK then I'd check is the crankcase pressure relief valve (PCV) these are sprung loaded andare only meant to 'burp' excess pressure every now and then. The exiting gas is piped back to the inlet, however should the valve stick open then the enginetends to suck the air out of the crankcase all the time and this carries oil over with it.

If you remove theair intake pipe and look inside where the crankcase breather is plumbed in you may find evidence of oil.

If you do find oil replace the valve. If this is all OK then its possible that the valve stem seals are past their best and are drip-feeding oil into the intake. These can be replaced without removing the head by a competent garage in half a day or so

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** helpful. I,l be in contact if I need more help, which I most likely will be needing.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

understood

you can get back to me on this post

if you would care to leave a rating then that would be appreciated as I can still answer after being rated

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?