UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

I'm trying to find a fix electric window problem on a 2004

Customer Question
Hi David, I'm trying to...
Hi David, I'm trying to find a fix for an electric window problem on a 2004 UK spec Beetle. The windows function correctly using the switches inside the car, but the driver's door glass does not drop down to clear the hood when the door is opened. The passenger side is working fine.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Car
11/24/2015
UK Auto Mechanic: gomi_otaku, Technician replied 1 year ago
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician

I'm assuming by your description of the problem that you have a Convertible? THe problem is in the door latch, it is not recognizing the door open signal. Your dome light may also not come on when you open the door, or may flash briefly. Replace the latch and you should be all good.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry, yes this is the convertible model. I had read that the problem could be with the door latch, and that if it is then the courtesy light will not operate when the door is opened, however the lamp situated under the rear view mirror operates as normal when the door is opened. Could the latch still be the cause?

Sometimes the system sees the signal for just a second. Try doing it with the key on, (this will turn the light on as soon as it sees the open signal, but off again as soon as it sees the closed signal) See if the light goes back off again right away.

There was also a programming update available for the system, involving replacing both window regulators if there was too much "play" in the system (like if you could hit the up or down switch and hear the motor run but the window would not start moving right away, like a half inch of "free play". But since you are getting no "drop" on open at all, I suspect the door latch.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've checked the courtesy light with the key in the ignition and you are correct - it does not come on at all when the driver's door is opened! Do I need to order the complete latch assembly, or is there a separate sensor? Also, it is only available as a main dealer item?

It's the whole latch. It is reasonably easy to do, but care needs to be taken as you will pull the window glass all the way out of the door when doing it, set it someplace safe.

You can get them on Amazon, but the one for the Convertible is a different part number than that for the other vehicles.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, I will try this and report back, thanks! :)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, as soon as I have fitted the latch and know that the problem is solved I will leave feedback for you :)

sure- just know the site sends reminders automatically- they are not directly from me.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I understand :)
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician