sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

My engine starts fine, but cuts out after about 2secs. While

Customer Question

My engine starts fine, but cuts out after about 2secs. While the engine is running for that brief period, the dashboard gauges don't work
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The issue is going to be in the instrument cluster itself. What happens is cracked solder joints will cause the cluster to try and ground through the communication bus. This shorts the bus to a higher voltage and prevents the body controller from sending a message to the engine controller that it's ok to run, so the engine starts and dies.

If you unplug the cluster, press the unlock button on your key fob and then start the engine you should find it stays running. If so you can either replace the cluster circuit board or you can remove the circuit board and resolder the two rows of joints opposite the cluster electrical connector, and that should take care of the problem.