Bob
Bob, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Nvq Level 3, ATA tech, Ford tech,6 years with Ford, 4 years with MG Rover
19517166

Got a ford 09 plate 1,8 tdci, rev it up,it drops to idle and

Customer Question

Hi guys got a ford 09 plate 1,8 tdci,
rev it up,it drops to idle and cuts out,
we have tested injectors, the pressure pump, we have done ecu upgrades,
we have just tried another presure valve unit that feeds all the injectors,
I'm just lost to what else we can do,?
please help
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to just answer. What fault codes are you getting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
varied fuel pressure,!
Expert:  Bob replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the Exact P0xxx code please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry i don't i have been working with diesel tech and garage taking parts of and checking, as i said we seem to have checked most of the obvious,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
po0087
poo88
Expert:  Bob replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so for now if we assume the injectors, high pressure pump and the fuel delivery is ok.

Your next step should be a Crank/Cam synchronization check. This can be done using your diagnostic equipment. This will tell you if your cam sensor is working correctly and also that the engine timingis correct.

The cam sensor and local wiring is a common failure on these engines. It is loctated on the rocker cover, with a grey plug

Expert:  Bob replied 1 year ago.

ah ok, the fault codes make this much clearer. When you say you replaced the pressure valve, do you mean the fuel metering valve?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have changed the two on the pump, and the one on the rail,?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as i said the pump has been taken of and checked
Expert:  Bob replied 1 year ago.

Has the fuel filter been removed, and the cavity checked for swarf content?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
changed the filter and body,!
Expert:  Bob replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried running the engine with a gravity feed fuel tank directly into the high pressure pump?

If the car runs ok here, then the low pressure side of the HP pump has failed, or you have a restriction in the fuel pipe work leading back to the tank, or the sender unit in the tank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thats a new one they have tried running gravity feed,the restriction leading back to the tank has us thinking,!
all the leak of pipes had been replaced,!
I'm really struggling with this we will check the pipe work leading back to the tank? and the sender in the tank,?
this really is something that could cause our problem,?regards mark
Expert:  Bob replied 1 year ago.

I would suspect that you will find something along the way here. I would also try and inline hand primer to the HP pump.

By doing this you can manually pump fuel into the HP pump while cranking to see if the engine starts and runs.

I would also recommend double/treble checking the fuel filter and housing. Remove clean and reseal before doing anything else.

Thanks Bob

Expert:  Bob replied 1 year ago.

How did you get on?