Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Ford senior technician
Experience:  fully qualified ford senior technician. ata registerd. svq level 3 .12 years experience
17855046

I have sound coming from my car. I think its the wheels/a

Customer Question

Hi
I have sound coming from my car. I think its the wheels/a wheel as I hear it at low speeds and it gets faster with wheel speed, though
I can't hear it at higher speeds. It's not very loud, a soft, dull, rhythmical sound.
Please advise whether this is normal.
Many thanks
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.

Hi there good morning to you

Ok is the noise a hoaning /groaning sound (described a bit like a plane taking off ) is it more noticeable around 30-40 mph

Kind regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, good morning.No, it's audible at low speeds 10-25 mph. It's not particularly loud. I haven't had the car that long and it may have been there when I bought it. I just noticed it since it sounds in time with the wheels rotating.ThanksDarren

Hi Darren thanks

Ok from your description I would suspect a possible brake graunch issue where by the brake pad surface sticks slightly to the disc surface (more common if vehicle isn't used a lot

Ideally you want to get the front wheels jacked up and rotate them slowly to check for any sticky feeling where by to resolve this on clarification of the isdue you would have to remove and clean /regrease the front brake pads

Other issues can be tyre noise due to the low profile of the tyres

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue going forward Darren please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you

If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice

PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER

Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day

Brian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Brian. I doubt it's the breaks pads since I had them changed by Ford very recently. If it were the tyres then why would I hear the noise only once per wheel revolution? I would have thought tyre feedback would be constant? Also, it may be coming from the rear wheels.ThanksDarren

Hi Darren

Ok if it is once a rotation noise from the reservation I would be stripping the brake pads out and cleaning the sugared as all it takes is a small stone to be trapped in the surface area or a bent anti rattle clip (very common ) as to someone has fitted pads and the clip tab isn't sitting correct you can get this type of once every rotation noise

Regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the back of your advice I took the car to the mechanics who check all the brakes and the clips but found no issues. Any other ideas?

Hi Darren good morning to you

Ok did they road test the vehicle to confirm your noise as check wheels bearings and wheel rotation for any tight spots that could indicate a warp in one of the brake discs m

Regards ***** *****

Brian