Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

My A4 1.6 2004-model is burning through both oil and

Customer Question

My A4 1.6 2004-model is burning through both oil and coolant. I have to fill a liter of oil for every 1000 km. The coolant issue is recent. Head gasket with new o-rings and whatnot was replaced half a year ago and should be fine. The car is not overheating
and shows no drops in performance (if there ever was any). What could be the cause of this if it is not the head gasket? The car has driven 260 000 km.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Oil issues are typically oil getting past the rings into the combustion chamber, you should see bluish smoke at least on startup. What happens usually is that the ring grooves get coked up with burnt or solidified oil residue, and the rings are not able to seat properly.

Or your PCV system may be pulling oil through, which in turn would end up with it burning off as well- though you would see signs of it in the intake pipes.

How much coolant are you going through? Typically as soon as the weather temps start to drop in the fall you will see the level drop a bit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When replacing the head gasket, I had the rings replaced as well. It came with a full kit of gaskets and rings. Could I narrow it down to this being a job poorly done somehow?How would I go about seeing if there's something wrong with the PCV system? Do you mean PVC pipes throughout?The coolant issue has not been a problem long enough for me to gauge the amount of coolant going through. I lost the heating which spurred me to refill about 1,5 liters of coolant. It seems impossible to read the level off the expansion tank so it is currently completely full. It doesn't seem dramatic. If it was, I suppose the motor could hydrolock? I don't think we're anywhere close to that, so maybe not worry about this for the time being?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Well, the PCV valve is mounted to the valve cover on the intake side of the motor. Typically, if the valve in it fails, it will suck hard on the crankcase area- so trying to take the oil cap off with the engine running will be difficult, it will suck down hard. It's a common failure point and was the subject of a recall in the US on the 2.0T engines

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

1l in 1000km is right at the limit of the spec for oil consumption (sounds like a lot to be "normal" i know)