UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

I have a 2003 Renault 1.9dci Fidgi. Intermittent fault.

Customer Question
Bowling along and the glo...
I have a 2003 Renault 1.9dci Fidgi. Intermittent fault. Bowling along and the glo plug warning light comes and and the engine speed is limited to 2k rpm. After a while the fault clears itself. The GSV(?) was cleaned out and this made a difference, but the problem persists. Recommendations pleas?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Car
10/15/2015
UK Auto Mechanic: Robert, UK Car Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, UK Car Mechanic

Hi..there..

GSV? Do you mean the EGR valve? and if so why was that cleaned out or was that what was showing up as faulty during or after testing?

You mention clears itself after a while - is this during driving is resolves itself or after switching off and back on again?

What other things have been inspected/tested beside's what you had done already

What it service history and mileage?

UK Auto Mechanic: Kevin, UK Car Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, UK Car Mechanic

Hi I'm Kevin do you have the fault codes that were in system

Sorry rob didn't realist you were already on this question

Robert: Yes, I mean EGR valve. This was replaced about two years ago. I had the same symptoms then. It was replaced as an emergency without any other investigation. This time there was no emergency but I have some pressing hospital appointments next week. The car has been in to a non-Renault garage which I trust. Did diagnostic tests. They diagnosed the EGR and cleaned it out. Worked well for a few days took car back and they cleaned the EGR again. Have tried turning off and on. No luck. Good service history. 90k miles. Your thoughts please

Hi..there..

On the 1.9dci - the EGR on these isnt really that big . it like a cylinderical valve thats electrically operated or actuated by the ecm - you note the small 2 pin plug into the rear of it - but is bolted to much larger housing.that valve can be removed and checked again if required - but the larger housing or chamber is what the egr cooler is bolted to / exhaust gas inlet pipe which goes in at the top and that valve opens or shuts to allow recirculated gas to pass into this housing or chamber and through the egr cooler chamber then into the intake manifold.there's metal pipe from that cooler that comes out and into the intake manifold...

However there is so many possible EGR faults from flow issues. to electrical or the valve itself - to the valve not being commanded or the ecu is seeing it sticking in certain points and thus this has knock on effect with the engine performance at certain rpm ranges or just shoves the car in limp home mode.

Without knowing "exactly" what faults codes you got then i can only advise on experiance from what ive seen personally..From what you saying cleaning the egr valve does seem to solve it..so in that view unlss that valve's gone again you could be in the right area and need that rechecked even if it means getting the entire egr housing out and cleaned .. not just the cylinderical valve itself..maybe the issue is flow within the main housing and thus this restriction could fouling the valve back up..only way to know that is to get that valve out and have look at it..they may also want to perform actuator test on it and see if it operates under command usually via diagnostic plug in..or check the resistance on the valve itself via the two pins,wiring would also have to be factor and signal from the ecu to command it to open and shut,so they may also need to check continuity of the wiring back and whether its getting,desired signal or proper feed...other things to be checking..vacuum lines especially so for splits,there quite few lines on that engine if i recall so best inspecting them..also is your waste gate "vacuum operated" on your turbo free enough..might be worth checking that...But of course the main factor in all the above is basically use of the car if it very seldom used then like with all diesel nowadays they have to be used on regular bases to allow the engine to the optimum temperature to allow carbon soot deposits to burned off so to speak...but as above beside cleaning and it is indeed EGR related they may have to go in deeper with diagnoses eespecially on the operating side of it..but if the valve is fully stuck wth carbon again then it probably advise geting the entire housing off and clean that out..unless the valve is faulty again..thats why it always best in the long term to get good quaility valve rather than cheap one..I do hope this helps

Robert
Robert
Robert, UK Car Mechanic