Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

My name is ***** *****. I have a 94 E36 Convertible -

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. I have a 94 E36 Convertible - Semi-Auto - Issue is either with the trunk interlock or central locking. I have tested the S6 Micro switch for the lid cover - that is working. I have tested the trunk lid latch S5 - that microswitch is working.
Problem is : Trunk does not open when the convert top is stowed in the compartment. Pressing on the lid cover - nothing - trunk stays locked.
Turn the key in drivers or passenger door - unlock mode - everything unlocks - then locks
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure
I am working on my convertible Using the top in manual mode
I am tring to resynch the motors
so the emergency lever has been pulled
motors are disengaged
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $30) to post your type of question to UK Car Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
i have meetings at 1 -2
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay - I am back
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the motors disengaged, I can put the top up without issue and the trunk is accessible.
When I stow the convertible top in the compartment and close the lid cover, the microswitch is depressed, but do not hear the actuator in the trunk lid. I thought S6 might be faulty - it is not. Infinite resistance when the lid is shut and closed (shorted) when the lid is open. Next, check S5 (trunk lid microswitch) - that appears to be working - checked with an ohm meter as well.So when the top is stowed - the only way to get into the trunk is to have someone turn the key in either the drivers or passenger door in the unlock state and they quickly push the trunk button to unlock the trunk. Otherwise, the car will simply unlock all the locks and quickly lock all the locks again. Drivers door, passenger door and trunk.So is it a faulty trunk lid actuator?Or do I have an issue with a module thinking the interlock is not working correctly? I verified S5 and S6 working and even substituted a wire(s) in place of the switches in the connectors to troubleshoot. Same result - an unlock/lock sequence. Pull a wire out from S5 or S6 and the locks will behave. Unlock with a key - stays unlocked. Plug a wire in - car will lock.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Based upon your testing and test results, the trunk lid is faulty and should be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trunk lid actuator or trunk lid latch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can stick the key in the trunk lid latch and turn it to lock and the actuator will simply unlock, then lock back up.
If I take any of the three pieces out - trunk microswitch S5 or the cover lid microswitch S6, or the actuator out of the circuit - everything behaves.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Sorry, my mistake in typing. I omitted actuator. I meant to type that the trunk lid actuator is faulty