Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

I have a 55 plate Ford Focus diesel turbo. Yesterday the

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 55 plate Ford Focus diesel turbo.
Yesterday the engine warning light with the exclamation mark came on and the turbo stopped
working. I could only do 40 max up hill, although downhill it was much better.
So we pulled in and switched off engine for 20 minutes. When we started again the light had gone off, the turbo worked again and all seems well again.
I had just put diesel in with tank very low about half an hour before the light came on.
What should i do please. I am worried because the turbo has gone twice already in the 6 years that i have had this car? Many thanks, Gavin
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

This sounds like an electrical sensor or solenoid or another electrical component for the turbo system operation has an electrical fault intermittently.Usually when you can cycle the key off and then restart the engine if the fault resolves itself even if intermittently this does indicate an electrical component at fault here so I don't think this is the turbo itself.

What needs to be done from here is to have the fault codes checked/read out to see what codes are set and then from there those codes diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here.This needs done with a scan tool or computer that will plug into your model to read the codes and help diagnose them as well.If you can get these codes read out and post the code info here this will help just let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete, thanks for getting back to me. However i have already booked car into Kwik fit as i thought none was going to respond. Their diagnostics gun is probably the only way forward with this as you suggested.
Many thanks, Gavin
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome Gavin.

If there is anything else I can help with here let me know.Once again I do apologize for the delay and responded as soon as I saw your question myself.

Thanks Pete