sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I bought in Sprinter 515 in the year 2013. A day after it

Customer Question

Good day, my name is***** bought in Sprinter 515 in the year 2013. A day after it went out of warranty these year July 8th, the engine ceased to work and was told that the engine was taken in to check the problem. The bus was regularly serviced at the Bethal dealership. I was made to pay in an amount of 30k to get in a new engine for my bus.
My question is how does an engine that is regularly serviced with the dealership ceased to work. The reason was told that there was engine leak and to make matters worse there was never any sign indicating shortage of oil or anything.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It isn't common but engine failures can happen without warning on any vehicle even with proper maintenance. It sounds as if your failure was because of a fluid leak. If it was driven with an oil leak then it could have ran out of oil which will damage the bearings, crankshaft, cams and all other internal moving parts. If it was driven with a coolant leak and allowed to overheat then the block, heads, pistons, etc can be damaged.

Do you know what fluid was leaking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I was told that it was oil leak.

I assume the engine had locked up or was knocking?