UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

I need to disable the DRL on a '03 Buick RendezVous. I live

Customer Question
Hi I need to disable the...
Hi
I need to disable the DRL on a '03 Buick RendezVous. I live in France and this device is not required.
Best Regards.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Car
10/1/2015
UK Auto Mechanic: Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech replied 2 years ago
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech

Let me look at the schematics for a way to disable this feature and I will get back to you.

When you removed the DRL fuse, did this disable the DRL feature? If so, it should have also made the right headlight high beam inoperative. Is this correct?

When I remove the 10A n#14 fuse it turns automaticaly all the light on : low beam + inst cluster + front & rear marker + rear licence like the light knob was turn to "On". High beam works too when left switch is operated.

Is this the #14 DRL fuse in the underhood fuse panel?

it is.

Perhaps the UK version is not set up like the US version. I will opt out so you can receive help from another expert. Good luck with this.

Dave

UK Auto Mechanic: Daniel Jones,
 replied 2 years ago
Daniel Jones

Hello. Welcome to the site. Thanks for coming.

I'm ***** *****.

I see the Expert you were working with Opted out. I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

Could you provide me with your VIN# ***** I can get the proper info?

Your business is very valuable to us.

Thank You

***** *****

Hello.
This is a 1rst hand car I bought in Florida and imported to France.
VIN : 3G5DB03E33S549229
Best Regards
UK Auto Mechanic: Daniel Jones,
 replied 2 years ago

Try removing the DRL relay #53 and see if that works. Check all other light functions to see if they work. It might disable the auto light function also.

If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.

If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service.

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****

Remove relay #53 disable DRL but turns on light like removing the 10A n#14 fuse.
I own the 8554 page (!) GM Workshop Manual. I found out this DRL spécification (see below). Maybe it can be useful :
Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)
The ambient light sensor is a light sensitive transistor that varies its voltage signal to the body control module (BCM) in response to changes to the outside (ambient) light level. When the BCM receives this signal it will either turn on the daytime running lamps (DRL) or the headlight relay for auto headlamp operation. Any function or condition that turns on the headlights will cancel the daytime running lamps operation. The daytime running lamps (DRL) illuminate the high beam headlights at a reduced intensity. With the headlight switch in the OFF position, the headlights will either be turned ON or OFF, after an approximate 30 second delay depending on whether daylight or low light conditions are sensed. Voltage is applied at all times to both the switched and coil side of the DRL relay. When the ambient light sensor detects a low light condition, the BCM applies a ground to the DRL relay control circuit. This energizes the relay and applies voltage to the DRL fuse.
Current flows from the DRL fuse to the right high beam lamp to the left hand high beam lamp. The high beam headlamps are now in series, and split the voltage. The headlamps illuminate at half intensity. The ground is provided from G101. The DRL operate when the ignition switch is in the RUN position, and the parking brake is not set or the transmission is not in park. When these conditions have been met and the ambient light sensor indicates daytime conditions, the DRL will illuminate.
Hi
It's going worst&worst...
When I run engine and shift from P instead the daytime running lamps (DRL) illuminate the high beam headlightsl, the Headlights & taillights & Isnt Clstr now are ON all time like light knob was ON !
I change DRL fuse + DRL Relay + ambient light sensor (located on top of the dash).Thank you for your help.
UK Auto Mechanic: Daniel Jones,
 replied 2 years ago

I was going to suggest unplugging the Ambient light sensor next to see if that would disable the DRL's.

Unplug ambient light sensor doesn't change anything. When I shift trans from P to D, DRL is diseable BUT all light comes on : Low beam/ Inst Clst/ Fr & Rr Marker.
UK Auto Mechanic: Daniel Jones,
 replied 2 years ago

Looking at the wiring diagram there is a circuit for DRL Relay Control. If you disconnect that wire it should disable the DRL's.

This is the 24 pin gray connector to the BCM.

Pin A12

Wire Color LT GRN/BLK

Circuit# *****

Function DRL Relay Control

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****

Hi
I disconect the wire color LT GRN/BLK.
DRL is disable ... but all light is ON (Low Beam + isnt clst + front & rear marker).
UK Auto Mechanic: Daniel Jones,
 replied 2 years ago

When you put the Parking brake on are the DRL's disabled?

Hi.
DRL doesnt work anymore. :(
Something new is going bad : instead of DRL all lights are ON right now.
UK Auto Mechanic: Daniel Jones,
 replied 2 years ago

Did you reconnect everything?

Fuse Ok
Relay seems ok (have brand new one)
I think because the BCM has detected a DRL issue, it goes to Security Mode : all lights are ON now (Low beam + Inst Clst + front & rear Marker).
I got also a message in the Information Center "Service Vehicule Soon" (This is NOT a "Check Engine Soon" light regarding a DTC within the OBD2)
Bst Rgds
UK Auto Mechanic: Daniel Jones,
 replied 2 years ago

You might have to have the BCM replaced or reprogrammed to disable the DRL's.

I have looked at the wiring and the only other thing that might work is if you were to put in a switch to turn on the light for the parking brake.

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****

UK Auto Mechanic: Daniel Jones,
 replied 2 years ago

Just wanted to get an update on how you made out with vehicle.

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.

Thanks
***** *****

Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones