UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

I SEEM TO BE LOSING BRAKE FLUID FROM WHAT I BELIEVE IS THE

Customer Question
VACUUM PUMP SITUATED BEHIND THE...
I SEEM TO BE LOSING BRAKE FLUID FROM WHAT I BELIEVE IS THE VACUUM PUMP SITUATED BEHIND THE RADIATOR
1996 2.8 SHOGUN. ANY IDEAS
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/24/2015
UK Auto Mechanic: Greg, Shop Owner replied 2 years ago
Greg
Greg, Shop Owner

Hi .

Yes this is your brake master cylinder that has malfunctioned , the vacuum pump has sucked in the leaking fluid from the leaking master cylinder .

When you replace the master cylinder flush out the pump with water .leave this too long you will have to replace the pump .

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied.

IF you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more",
please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have.
I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Kind regards Greg.

Hi Greg, how long is too long and can I get a rebuild kit for the master cylinder ?

Couple of weeks will damage the rubber seal in the system .

I would replace the master cylinder as the cylinder walls damage on these , but you may be lucky when you have the master cylinder out remove the piston set and check the cylinder walls for damage .

There are good repair kits that you can use ,

Rgds Greg

Let me know if you need further assistance with this issue .

Kind regards Greg

Hi Greg
I HAVE REMOVED THE MASTER CYLINDER AND VACUUM PUMP WHICH WAS FULL OF OIL. I HAVE 2 NEW SEALS FOR THE PUMP BUT CAN ONLY SEE WHERE 1 IS USED , DO I HAVE TO REMOVE THE BACK OF THE PUMP WHERE THE DRIVE COMES THROUGH, ALSO I AM PUZZLED BY THE PIPE THAT COMES FROM THE ENGINE BLOCK AND WOULD APPEAR TO FEED OIL INTO THE VACUUM PUMP . I ASSUME THAT THE VACUUM PUMP SHOULD BE DRY.
IF THE VACUUM PUMP HAS SUCKED IN THE FLUID FROM THE MASTER CYLINDER DOES THAT MEAN THAT THE FLUID HAS GOT INTO THE SERVO ??
FURTHER TO THE ABOVE THE ONLY CONNECTION FROM THE VACUUM PUMP TO THE BRAKING SYSTEM SEEMS TO BE AN AIR LINE TO THE SERVO

If the master cylinder is leaking fluid will get to the vacuum pump in most cases .like i said water will remove brake fluid don't use any chemicals .

There is a 10mm stopper bolt (# ***** 5 diagram) on the underside of the master cylinder this has to be removed to get the second piston out .

Rgds Greg

o.k i have taken off the back part of the pump and have found where the other o ring goes. The bearing will let engine oil through into the impeller chamber, is this correct ? I do not understand how brake fluid can get into the vacuum pump from the servo could you please explain ?

Okay the brake system is basically the same as a petrol vehicle only the vacuum the booster needs is from the

vacuum pump and not the intake manifold .

So if the master cylinder leaks the fluid ends up in the brake power booster and also gets sucked up into the pump .

Rgds Greg

Greg, when I removed the master cylinder it was totally dry at the joint with the vacuum booster and the vacuum booster has a seal around the plunger. I am beginning to think that the leak behind the rad is coming from the pressure relief unit which is mounted on the vacuum pump above the air intake connection, and that it may be engine oil and not brake fluid. Is that possible ?

Did you not say you was also losing brake Fluid ?

Engine oil is possible if the pump shaft seal fails on the pump itself .

Greg

Hi did you the last message .

Greg

Greg
Greg
Greg, Shop Owner