UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

My toyota 4runner 2005 v6 does not accelerate after driving

Customer Question
around....
My toyota 4runner 2005 v6 does not accelerate after driving around.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Car
9/23/2015
UK Auto Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Do you have any history on this vehicle leading up to this current problem? Has the yellow check engine light on recently? Do you have a code reader to check to see if there a malfunction code set in the computer? Was the battery out of the vehicle recently or was it jumped backwards recently?

Hello Skyvisions, No history, just noticed it some couples of days ago. When i switch off the engine or park it overnight i can drive smoothly for a while then it starts again

Has the yellow check engine light on recently? Do you have a code reader to check to see if there a malfunction code set in the computer? Was the battery out of the vehicle recently or was it jumped backwards recently?

How many miles on the truck?

120,000 miles, no jump start. check engine light on with the VCS light too. But does have been on way back before this issue. The fuel pump was changed recently by my mech, changed plugs, cleaned the nussles.

Can you get to a nearby AutoZone or similar parts store to do free malfunction code read even though the check engine light has been on it's possible you could have over lapping problems and there might be other codes that might be contributing to this issue. Can you get the current codes that would be set in the computer and list them here? Have you run a fuel pressure tests?

Ran a diagnosis on it recently came up with this code p0051 pointing to the oxygen sensor, they cleared it and it came back with same code

That code in itself is not going to be a problem. That is strictly indicating that the air fuel ratio sensor for bank two heater control current is low. After the vehicle warms up the AFR sensor will still function normally. There are multiple things that can cause this vehicle to lose power and not want to accelerate after it warms up. Without running specific pressure test when the problem occurs and checking your back pressure from the catalytic converter also it is hard to say for sure. Based on your description though the first thing I would test or check would be exhaust back pressure to see if the catalytic converters might be getting restricted. This would be more evident when it is warmed up. You can do that with a vacuum gauge or the best way to check it is to remove the air fuel ratio sensor from the manifold one at a time on each side and screw an adapter in there you should have no more than one PSI at any given time for exhaust pressure. Anything more than it indicates some type of restriction in the exhaust. Poor fuel quality is also a potential issue especially if you're using a higher percentage of ethanol in the fuel.

it can be the catalytic converter or the fuel pump pressure? will check if there is any blockage @ the exhaust side. So can a weak fuel pump cause this issue also?

Yes on the pump but on a Toyota they Normally rarely fail but if an aftermarket pump was put in it anything is possible. It is not likely a sensor related issue otherwise you would have different codes set in the computer. Test the fuel quantity for alcohol also should be no more than 7% by volume.

what does the throttle pedal sensor do? My Mech told me it was the issue, but after changing it now nothing has happened. Really not happy with that.

When you say that you replaced the sensor nothing has happened do you mean it didn't fix the problem? Or did it make it worse? Do you have a part number of the part you replaced?

It did not fix the problem, guess it was not the issue. Don't have the part with me now

This is a drive by wire throttle body. The throttle body contains the throttle position sensor and motor drive assembly. Did you replace the entire throttle body assembly with the sensors built into it? Or did you replace the throttle pedal position sensor under the dash?

Replaced only the sensor under the dashboard

Unfortunately those never fail. And when they do they will set a code they are a double redundancy sensor and are very sensitive to malfunctions. Even the throttle is the same way it is a dual function sensor and is unlikely that it ever would fail without setting a code.

then that will be eliminated from the issue, then we have to focus on the catalyst and fuel pump right?

Yes that is correct.

Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician