Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

I´m Gert. My 2001 S5S got water in the trunk two weeks ago.

Customer Question

Hi I´m Gert. My 2001 S5S got water in the trunk two weeks ago. Since then from time to time the trunk and the fuel door opens by themselves if engine is out. The next morning the batterie is empty and the car does not start. What can I do? Thank you in advance for your help and kind regards ***** *****
Gert
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question
Ok, you need to pull the rear seat cushion and check the rear fusebox and rear relay box underneath the rear seat cushion to see if either have water intrusion in them and dry out, and if still an issue replace as needed. It is likely some worked found its way to below the rear seat from the trunk
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Eric
Thank you. (We have a different time zone here in Europe.)
Somewhere I read that there is also some electrical stuff at the left rear wheelhouse in the trunk which can corrode? Under the rear seat cushion it is not wet. Nevertheless I will check the relay and come back to you.
Regards
Gert
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
HI,
I will check what is behind the trim panels in the trunk and let you know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Eric,
The relays for fuel door and trunk release are dry and o.k.
Hi Eric,
I checked the battery at a special shop and it shows 94% capacity and they told me that the battery is absolutely o.k.
Any news regarding what else to do? The majority of the water which came into the trunk came from the sunroof. The water entered the trunk at the inner wheel house on both sides.
Did you find out whether there are some cables or other components which can corrode or other reasons for the fault?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No answer yet. Do you need further info?
Regards
Gert