Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

My daughter has s 2008 mini clubman. 2 days ago she drove to

Customer Question

My daughter has s 2008 mini clubman. 2 days ago she drove to her friends...the check engine light came on and dropped down to 10 mph. Went over today, very low on oil. We put 4 qts of the synthetic blend in it and it seemed to be fine. I realize she needs a oild change with filter. Is there a sensor that shuts the engine down with low oil?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 years ago.

If it is the turbo or supercharged charged model it does have a low oil pressure shut down. The turbo or supercharger is oil cooled and will be damaged very quickly in a low oil condition so the PCM will put the vehicle in limp mode where it will either run at very low RPM or shut off completely.

The turbo charged version will also use some oil during normal driving so checking it periodically is always a good idea.

Expert:  Jared D replied 2 years ago.

I just wanted to check in and see if you needed any additional information. I hope that I have been of some assistance and would appreciate a positive rating if it have. Thanks!