UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

Problem with vsa, engine warning and car going into limp

Customer Question
mode. Is this vsa modulator...
Problem with vsa, engine warning and car going into limp mode. Is this vsa modulator? Honda want to test and change ecu, also new wiring loom £5000!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Car
9/14/2015
UK Auto Mechanic: Ron, Car Enthusiast replied 2 years ago
Ron, Car Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The VSA light comes on when the computer sees a system fault and when this light comes on the computer will set and store a fault code and or codes, in order to determine what is causing this problem the first thing you are going to need to do is have the computer system scanned and the fault code and or codes retrieved. If you can get this done and post back with the results I will try and help you determine the cause

Hello Ron, I do not have access to the specific codes now, the diagnostic work was done by vertu Honda Mansfield Nottinghamshire. Initially there appeared to be no codes as the symbols had disappeared. Based on historical experience the throttle sensor was replaced. It did not work. Car continud to go into limp mode. They have said that further diagnosis suggests that the ECU may be malfunctioning and would need to be tested using a known good ECU. However because the "signals" triggering the ECU (which may be in good order itself) to action putting the car into limp mode may be erroneous, ie they may be coming from a wiring loom that is damaged and shorting producing "false" signals for example such things as the wiring loom would need to be tested. But to really rule it out, replace the wiring loom after the ECU has been tested as the potential source of the fault. The ECU has been replaced before...probably with no long term benefit (as can be seen from the Honda service record). This vehicle's has been recalled for VSA modulator faults that can produce the VSA/engine warning and Limp mode outcome I am seeing. That is why I asked about that in my original question. The vehicle is effectively useless. I am seeking my money back but at the same time learning all I can about what kind of repair options might be available even if I cannot progress them because I want my money back as my first preference.

When the light comes on the computer will set and store fault codes. If you can get me these codes I will try and help you.

Ron, Car Enthusiast