Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

I have 1988 1.9 water cooled petrol VW T25 and the

Customer Question

I have 1988 1.9 water cooled petrol VW T25 and the temperature gauge is not working. I have read the advice you have given a previous person on this issue and it was very helpful.
I am thinking of fixing/would like to sort the problem myself and I would like to ask/if you can please confirm some things before I start:
- I have found the two sensors and just to confirm, is the sensor behind the thermostat and not the blue one on the left of the thermostat? (looking from the back of the van). Haynes manual shows the blue one as fuel injection sensor but I do not have this facility.
- What is the best/easiest way to earth the terminal? After I start the engine do I have to press it against the engine block or can I run warm air from a hair dryer over the points and would I still need to earth the terminal?
- Do I just pull on the metal clip hard to get the clip off? (Looks like the clip has been on there for quite some time – rusty, may need to try and get hol
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question
it is the sensor behind the thermostat.
use some needlenose pliers to grip the end of the clip to pull it off. you may need to spray some wd40 on it first.
If you are asking about testing it, remove it and stick in a pot of water and put pot on stove and slowly heat while you have a voltmeter to check that resistance changes as temperature goes up. If it doesnt, it is bad