sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

I have an 08 jeep patriot and the ABS EPS/BAS lights are

Customer Question

hi
i have an 08 jeep patriot and the ABS EPS/BAS lights are on..
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have found a replacement from a wreckers yard and a local garage has fitted it. this has cleared the ABS fault, but the EPS/BAS and anti skid lights still come on. the mechanic says the scanner shows code C2202 VIN mismatch, I guess because the replacement part comes from a different vehicle. How do I get rid of the code?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You won't be able to get rid of a VIN mismatch code. When a new module is installed it receives data over the communication bus to write the VIN and vehicle build configuration. This information is permanently stored. The code is setting now because it sees the VIN of the current vehicle does not match the original VIN and build configuration stored in it's memory. A new module would need to be installed to repair this.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hmmm thats odd because after some more research on the internet forums which suggested that the ABS module just needed to be re-initialised, I went back to the garage that fitted the replacement part, and they attached their scanner and performed this function and now all warning lights are off and there are no DTCs.

Initializing the module won't change the VIN. The original VIN and build configuration is permanently stored in a new module when it is installed and the key is turned on.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
well the scanner no longer shows a VIN mismatch code or any other faults and the dash is clear so all good.

There was most likely some kind of miscommunication from the shop and regardless they should have known any ABS module has to be initialized when installing it, but in any event I'm glad it appears to be repaired for now.