Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

WHILST DRIVING THE ENGINE WILL SUDDENLY CUT OUT, YOU PULL

Customer Question

WHILST DRIVING THE ENGINE WILL SUDDENLY CUT OUT, YOU PULL OVER TURN THER KEY AND ENGINE RESTARTS AFTER A FEW MILES THIS WILL HAPPEN AGAIN, HAVE SPENT ALMOST £1000 TRYING TO FIND THE PROBLEM, LAST NIGHT TOOK IT IN TO THE MECHANIC AGAIN, COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING WRONG. I HAVE A 56 BMW X3. AT THE END OF MY TETHER WITH THIS PROBLEM AND SHOULD THINK THE GARAGE IS SICK OF SEEING ME. PLEASE HELP
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In some cases a fault like this can be caused by an intermittent electrical fault with the crank sensor on the engine itself.I have seen crank sensor failure in the past before cause this issue here needing replaced.I would have this checked if it hasn't been already to see if this is the cause here for sure and then replaced if found at fault.This is a common component for what is described here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have tried your suggestion but the problem persists.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

One other very common component that is known to fail and can act up like this here in some cases is the electronic ignition switch itself.I have seen this switch fail in the past intermittently needing replaced.If this has not been checked to see if this is the cause here this needs done.If found to be at fault the switch will need replaced.This is usually checked using a scan tool to monitor the switch signals when the vehicle acts up.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Thanks Pete.