Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

Thanks to help While driving today my 07 XC90 D5 Auto

Customer Question

Hi Chris
Thanks for offering to help
While driving today my 07 XC90 D5 Auto started making a clonking noise. It mainly happens while decelerating (not braking) around 15-25 mph although it has clunked at lower speeds
I hope you can advise, thanks in anticipation
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question
If this clonk is like a jolt, then this is likely the torque converter coming out of lockup late. Sometimes a transmission flush and transmission additive will resolve this. otherwise, the torque converter will need to be replaced
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply Eric.I believe the torque converter is for the final gear ie 6th, the issue is at speeds below 30 mph. Do you think it could be anything else I only have 68000 miles on the clock?I look forward to hearing from youMartin
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
HI,
The torque converter actually goes into lockup around 45-55mph. But what is happening is it is not coming out of lockup on decceleration at same speed, instead, coming out at a much lower speed, which causes the clonking/jolting.
The only other possible cause is a faulty shift solenoid causing a clonking when it downshifts at that speed due to late downshift. This can be verified by having a scan tool with live data hooked up to record what the shift solenoid is doing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Once again thanks for your answer.I took the car to a mechanic friend today, I think/hope it may be the top
and bottom engine mounts, the clunking is still the same but it's all below
20 mph.Respectfully ***** ***** you are wrong on this occasion, even if I get to 20
mph I still get the clonk and it does sound like it's dampened. Driving
today the whole engine feels unbalanced so again I'm hoping it's a mount
issue
I'm taking it to a Volvo specialist on Monday and will let you know what
they say.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
HI,
Ok, sounds good.