Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Ford senior technician
Experience:  fully qualified ford senior technician. ata registerd. svq level 3 .12 years experience
17855046

I have a mondeo 2.2 from 2008 and i get the mallfunction

Customer Question

Hello,\
I have a mondeo 2.2 from 2008 and i get the mallfunction engine error from time to time
I had error p0299 not enough air in the intake system but i changed the turbo hose .
I still have no the engine mallfunction error and no error on computer on the convers
I have no ideea what to do
Car is running fine, no loose of power
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there good afternoon to you
Ok just to clarify from time to time you get an engine management /engine systems failure issue
But now there is no lack of power and NO Fault codes
Did you have a split in the intercooler hose that was replaced
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi ,Yes, i changed the hose that goes from the turbo to intercooler and i am planning to replace the hose that goes from the egr to intercooler and change the intercooler alsoNo fault codes in this moment , no lack of powerIf i drive the car under the low rpm like 2000 rpm maxim insteead of 2500 rom wich normaly i would change till 100km per hour i have no egine system failure, imedialtly as i raise the rpm and the speed engine faillure appear
Don't know is this information can help you but those are the simptoms of the car
The thing is that i have no ideea what to do
I
Hi there thanks
Ok from your description I would suspect an air leak in the intercooler system thus the p0299 code
The most common hose to split is the front intercooler hose which goes from the throttle body (front of inlet manifold
To the drivers side of the intercooler
This is a common hose to split
Has this been replaced
Is there any whoosing type noises at(###) ###-####rpm
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
To the drivers side of the intercooler
This is a common hose to split
Has this been replaced
NO It hasn;t been replaced yetIs there any whoosing type noises at(###) ###-####rpm
NO, nothingAlex

Hi Alex thanks

Ok I have attached an image of the hose I suspect may be causing this issue, sonetimes it splits at the rear so you need to feel about it with your hand

Another test is to have some one Rev the engine will you listen/feel around this hose in the engine bay as these are common on the 2.2 tdci as well as the code you had of P0299 - underboost issue these are a combination we see a lot of

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue Alex please let me know

If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice

PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER

Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day

Brian

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok,I forgot something very important
The car was crashed few years ago by another owner
When i changed the turbo -intercooler hose, the mechanic told me they had a hard time in fitting the hose at the intercooler end and there was a difference in cm like the intercooler wasn;t for mondeo 2.2 and it looks like is a small one
They discovered the same issue with the egr hose
Could be the intercooler that cause all this ?
What is your advice in using the car ,,.before getting at the intercooler to change it i neet to have a*****( 186 miles)
Now ..i don;t trust 100% my mechanic and i was looking for some ford technician good ones in Czech Rep but nothing so faar .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I see the picture now
Actually that is next on my list
But the small part of the hose actually i am gonna change the entire hose not just one part
Hi Alex
Ok this pipe only comes as complete hose I circled the picture to show where the split commonly occurs
The p0299 code is associated and brought on of the desired map boost pressure is not seen thus indicates a loss of pressure most commonly caused by a split in the rubber hose
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am gonna make the changes next week and i will let you know if everything is ok
Thank you,
I am gonna rate your service as soon as possible
Hi there good morning to you
No worries
I look forward to your reply
Kind regards in advavce abd have a nice day
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning2 days ago i changed the hose from the egr to intercooler with an original one
I changed the intercooler with an original one
Car is driving fine but i still have the engine mallfunction alert from time to time and the yellow exclamation sign that disappear after 1-2 mins.
I have no check engine alert on car display and i have no ideea what to do next
Any adviceThe turbo hose is also new , no loose of power, no unsuall sound from the engine, NOTHING !!I checked the level of oil.. is fine
Car start good....
... help!!!
Hi there
What fault code is being logged
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no error code
actually nothing to have on display maybe something in the ecu i didn;t check it again
Do you think is stored as long as is not present on the computer display?
Hi there good afternoon to you
Ok yes there the fault code will still be logged in the PCM this is imperative to diagnosing this issue
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello BrianOk, no problem i will do it this week ,
Tell me please i read about the diagnose software from ford called IDS is really necessary to have the diagnose with this software or it can be done with any other?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lets say that the ecu hold the same error
P0299 not enough air in the turbo charger what will your advise?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Any new ideeas for my problem ?