UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

Civic: my 2002 type r has gone into limp mode and has produced

Customer Question
my 2002 type r has...
my 2002 type r has gone into limp mode and has produced the following error codes p1361 p0341. any help would be greatly appreciated
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Car
7/30/2015
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 2 years ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Hello P1361 and P0341 is a faulty top dead centre ( cam) sensor , if you look on the belt end of the cam cover there should be a 2 or 3 wire sensor , check its wiring over for any damage and if its looks OK then replace the sensor , as they're not too expensive
Will I need to remove the cam cover to do this?Also will I need to re do the timing after I have repaired/replaced it? Or will the cars computer automatically sort it?Also where would you recommend purchasing a new sensor?
Hello
no there's no need to remove the cam cover
the sensor plugs into the engine and seals on its own o-ring so its a case of removing the fixing bolt , withdrawing the sensor and fitting the new one - as simple as that
and providing the wiring is undamaged and the connector uncorroded then yes the computer / ECU will sort it out
as for where to purchase then I'd reccommend buying original Honda parts for this
http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_catalogue_C01.php
HelloI don't think so it should look like this http://www.cyberspaceautoparts.com.au/contents/media/l_cam-096%20honda%20cam%20sensor.jpg
HiStill haven't managed to find it, the only sensors on the side are the v-tec oil sensor and the crankshaft sensor. I have taken the rocker cover off and aligned the cams to the correct place so they line up but the marking on the crankshaft don't line up
HiI have only taken the top cover off. Figure one where the frank shaft is, the notches don't line up to the arrow (figure 1)
helloOK so you won't be able to see the crank shaft mark, but do the coloured chain links match up to the cam wheels?
Nope, I can't seem to see any coloured chains
Hello
it will only be a couple of links that are different material or nickel plated don't expect any bright colours
if there' are no different links then it may have had an aftermarket / non genuine chain
which is fine but means the cam timing has be checked with dial gauges and timing wheels (the old fashioned way)
I've just been into Honda today they have said that the tdc sensor is actually the crank sensor, I have emptied all of my oil yesterday and it was dirtier than expected, could all of this possibly just be a case of dirty oil?, I ordered a new sensor today to try and factor that out of the equation so I'll let you know if this does the trick. Do you have any ideas where I can get a the special tool used to get the water pump off so that I can remove the chain? I spoke to Honda and apparently it's like 90 quid :/
Hello
if the oil was very dirty and leaving a lot of sludge on the sensors then this won't help things
and regarding the water pump , sorry that special tool is a honda part only
however I would try a generic puller 1st if you have one something like this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Am-Tech-J1800-Bearing-Puller-Set/dp/B001MPVC2M
Hello
both cam sprockets are 3 links out in the same direction so providing the crank sprocket is also 3 links out in this direction then you're fine
however this can't been seen until you remove the front cover
however your error code is in line with a faulty cam timing or a faulty cam sensor
so I think the next step is to remove the front cover so you can see the crank sprocket and check the cam timing all lines up
Hi
do you still need help?
HiWill try the things that you suggested on Monday and let you know.Thanks
understood good luck
hi
how did you get on?
HiI have ordered a crank pulley tool to get the crank off as the other method doesn't work,and should be with me on Monday, will try your method then and let you know.
understoodgood luck
Matt, Mechanical Engineer