Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer - master tech., SAE member
30385560

Chevrolet Blazer: I have lost the key to a Chev Blazer inported

Customer Question

I have lost the key to a Chev Blazer inported second hand from Japan into Swaziland and need to know where I can have a new kay cut.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
Any locksmith, key shop would cut the key.
The problem is that you need to program the key on your vehicle (or else the engine would immobilized, it would not start).
This can be done on your model using the GM tech II scan tool, which connect through the internet to service.gm.com and programs the key.
This can be done only at GM dealers.
Kindly get back to me with your findings, or if further assistance is needed.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi - how will they cut the key without a sample?
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
They should be able to cut a key using the ignition barrel or slot. But the mechanical key would still not start the engine.
you can also buy an ignition lock with its keys included, but the problem would remain the programming of the immobilizer (adaptation of the key on your system).
Regards,
Billy