Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer - master tech., SAE member
30385560

Kia Sedona: Kia Sedona auto after about an hour towing caravan

Customer Question

Kia Sedona auto after about an hour towing caravan changes down to 2nd gear and stays there The car drives fine not towing. It pulls te caravan well, but then after a while will only stay in low gears. If I stop a while it will work ok for a sort time.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.When the TCM (transmission control module) detects a fault, it will revert to limp home mode (2nd gear), it will also store fault codes.In your case, it seems the transmission fluid temperature is rising. However, to confirm the fault and proceed with the necessary repairs, we need to connect to a diagnostic computer (scan tool), to retrieve the fault codes.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Having the fault codes, we should be able to know which parts or components need checking, and i would be able to tell you how and what to check if needed.When you let the transmission cool down a bit, and cycle ignition (off/on), the codes will stay stored, but the system will reset, hence working back normally upon resting.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your trust! Get back to me if you need more assistance...Thank you in advance for the positive rating...Regards,Billy