Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer - master tech., SAE member
30385560

Renault 4 cyclinder 2.2: I plan to buy a Winnebago Itasca 1987

Customer Question

I plan to buy a Winnebago Itasca 1987 with a 4 cylinder /2.2 litres /3 speed automatic transmission It ha 85,000 miles on it. Do you know of any problems with this purchase?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.At this low mileage, the powertrain (engine and transmission) should be in good condition if taken care of correctly.So the first thing would be trying to get the service history.Then, i would inspect the engine oil and coolant, make sure they are clean and to the level. Then try to cold start the engine, see if it starts immediately, and idles fine, at cold and when warmed up.The thing i would worry about would be the transmission. Check the transmission fluid (with engine on, warm, shifter lever at P), make sure the fluid is clean and does not have a burnt odour, nor brown colour (it should be red). Then with brake pedal depressed, put the lever in D, then N, then R (stopping around five seconds in each), check if you get any juddering or knocking from the transmission.If not, take it for a test drive, and check fi you get nice shifts, no slipping or juddering while shifting.Other than that, i would visually inspect the body work, as any rust will prove costly to fix.Thank you for your trust! Get back to me if you need more assistance...Thank you in advance for the positive rating...Regards,Billy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your information.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
You're most welcome!
Get back to me with your findings, or if further info is needed.
Regards,
Billy