Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer - master tech., SAE member
30385560

X-type v6 auto: ***** ***** I have 02 x type which I am unable to

Customer Question

hi , I have 02 x type which I am unable to start. it failed its mot so I drove it home to sell for spares etc. the next day it would not start, turn over. the red alarm light flashes when you turn the ignition. all I want to do is disable the alarm so be able to start the engine and so sell it as the engine is fine. don't want to get an auto spark involved because of costs. the battery is ok . i'm not mechanically minded. can you help, mark
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Hello Mark and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.
do you have another key to try?
if yes, even if it does not start, i can show you the manual reset procedure for the immobilizer system.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I don't have a spare key.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Hello Mark,
This immobilizer system can only be reset by dealer in this case.
However, we can try a few things first:
remove the battery negative lead for an hour or so, then reconnect open the ignition (to position II) check if the alarm led is on for 3 seconds, then off. Then try to start. If the alarm led stay blinking, then this system was not reset.
Kindly get back to me with your findings, so we proceed accordingly.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All ready tried that. Would just like to disconnect the immobiliser so I can start the car and have engine running to show any buyers.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Hello Mark,
I'm afraid that it is just not possible to disconnect the immobilizer.
The immobilizer system sends a code to the engine control module to enable the starting. If the code is not received by the engine module, the engine will not start.
To be able to start, you need one of the following:
- reset the system (sometimes only a reset using a scan tool is needed, which will cost around 0.5 hours or labor charge)
- get a used working starting kit, consisting of: key, immobilizer module, engine module all from the same vehicle in a junk yard.
- or if you just need the engine to turn or crank (without firing, meaning that the starter will engage and turn the engine a few turns), so the buyers can listen to it, and maybe check the compression pressure, i can show you where the starter relay is, and how to jump it.
Get back to me on these.
regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
K thanks.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
You're most welcome Mark!
Cheers