Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer - master tech., SAE member
30385560

Golf: v5 golf auto problemsClunky gear changes, reluctant

Customer Question

hi v5 golf auto problems
Clunky gear changes, reluctant to change into 5th
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
Can you specify the gearbox you have? the automatic gearbox (or DSG automated gearbox)?
is it the mark 5 golf? and 2001 model year? (as 2001 is a mark 4 golf)?
and are you sure the engine is 2.3??? (diesel or petrol)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Gearbox is 5 speed auto (not DSG), car is Mk4 Golf V5 2.3 petrol
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
Now the confusion is gone:
- when you say clunky gear changes, does it mean it takes time when shifting, and then it shifts abruptly or violently?
- how many miles you have on this Golf?
- did this problem start suddenly or gradually?
- do you have any warning lights on dash?
- do you sense any engine problems, hesitation, poor fuel mileage (as it could be the MAF sensor causing all these with the transmission issue)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hello,It takes along time to shift and then shifts violently.
I bought the car recently as it is low mileage (45000miles)
The engine warning light is on now, mechanic reset fault codes in g/box and ecu when changed oil and filter. was showing engine speed sensor fault in g/box which we thought would clear with new fluid as old fluid was bad, initially much better but the following day is much worse and engine warning light is now on again.
engine seems to run fine, visual inspection of air hoses to maf sensor, they look ok with no obvious leaks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
when i test drove the car these faults were not noticeable but deteriorated quickly.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
You need to check the codes again, if the speed sensor in the transmission is faulty (or its wiring) it would cause this.
Would you be able to get the codes, and get back to me with the codes you have both in engine and transmission?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm afraid not, the car is back home now. do you know which sensor it is likely to be at all?
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
given the symptoms, and the codes you have before, it most likely is the speed sensor (engine or input speed sensor) at the transmission.
however, we need to confirm (by getting the codes), so we can check the wiring, and if good, replace the sensor.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can probably get the codes on monday
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Take your time, and get back to me with the codes...
Cheers!