Ron, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  ASE tech with 34 years of fixing cars
7276279

Cadillac sts: We have a 1997 Cadillac STS with Northstar engine.

Customer Question

We have a 1997 Cadillac STS with Northstar engine. Since a long time the car would not start again before its cold We have changed fuel pump, ignition coils, oil pressure switch in two weeks and still it will not start after you have turned the egnine off. The engine has been fully renovated a year ago. The message is service fuel system.
Thanks in advance.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
In order for the engine to start and run you need good spark to the spark plugs, injector pulse , proper fuel pressure (48 to 55 PSI) as well as good compression. If you can check each one if these thing when the engine will not start and post back with which one you are lacking , I will try and help you determine the cause. It would also be helpful if you can have the computer system scanned and post any and all fault codes found. Post back when you can and we can work from there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Ron - thanks for your reply.
The car will start and run well most of the times. The problem is for example when gone shopping and try to start the car it sometimes will not start.
I don't think that it is anything wrong with the sparks or the tuel pressure as it will run properly after a few hours.
It doesn't happen everytime - I can start and stop - start drive a short distance and stop and suddenly it will not start.
Think that it could have something to do with for example the alarm.
Susanne
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Susanne, an alarm concern is possible and if that is the cases the computer will usually set and store a fault code and or codes. If you can get the computer system scanned and see if there are any fault codes setting and post back with them I can help you determine the cause.