Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Passat: MY 2009 VW PASSAT ENGINE LIGHT HAS COME ON AND THE

Customer Question

MY 2009 VW PASSAT ENGINE LIGHT HAS COME ON AND THE CODE IS CAN BUS 09326-224 AND 09326-160
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..My name is***** happy to help / advise you..The CAN codes you have there do not come up at all / relate to anything in the VAG database... how have you got those ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
with the vag code reader
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok, exactly what machine / make is that ? and what software?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
There are many different code reading machines on the market but not all are suitable - it can depend on the actual machine / software used etc... I might be able to get something on those codes if I know the make / model of the machine etc...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
autel maxscan vag405
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you - yes I know that machine. Give me a moment please..
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me what Firmware your 405 has ? It shows on boot up..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
v2.8 other people have had these codes on google ad have received no answer to the problem
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok good - 2.8 is the latest version.. but - there is something still amiss. When you go into code retrieval..by that I mean DTC retrieval - will it give you "P" codes?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
The codes you have there are definitely not right no.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
You need to get either proper OEM VAG codes out of it - which are usually a five digit format.. or codes prefixed with a P to get anywhere with that -
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no p codes it just says can bus 09326 no description for this code engine also has a very slight run on when switched off
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Quite why that machine is getting that I dont know.. You may get direct help from Autel on that - you can contact them on their website.. they may be version codes or something- but they are not fault codes that are recognised Im afraid.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Does it connect ok otherwise.. does it give you the VIN readout for example from the Ecu?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok - well given what you just said above - ie - 09326 no code for this engine - and coupled with all Ive said, you either have a fault with the machine - or the car.. most likely the Ecu... What I would suggest is what garages do in these situations, is to use the machine on another car of the same type / year - and use a different make of machine on your car to see what you get. For sure there is something not right there... even as the machine says - they are not proper fault codes so something is not right there.. I have to suggest as above to progress on this. You can come back to me with any new codes you get should you need - but usually the machine, when all is working properly, will ID the code meanings on screen - but the option is there for you if you need.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Then I would take your issue with the suppliers of your machine.. I think it will be found its not compatable with your Ecu Im afraid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if its not compatable then why has it erased the codes and the light is not on now!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am a trained mechanic and have always used this machine on this car with no problems. It just had be stumped which is why I enlisted the help of a Bosch expert.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
You didn't say that it had done that .. but in any case - a machine that is not compatable / software wise will often do that.. in that it will work with some systems, not others. Too - it will come up with erratic codes if the software is not right for the car.. Renaults / Peugeots are favourite for this as are some of the VAG range.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
This is the problem we see on occasion - you get aftermarket machines do this sort of thing a lot... as a mechanic you will know why then.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
If you were to use the dedicated VAG equipment on it - even the aftermarket VAGCOM you would not get this issue.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
So the bot***** *****ne is - as always in these case, aftermarket equipment, no matter how good / expensive it is, is always subject to errors like you have had. This is why OE equipment is coming on at such a pace these days - more and more garages are buying it so the prices are coming down.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
have I been charged the full fee?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
My advice to you then has to be to reiterate as above. There are just no definitions for those "codes" such as they are... sometimes its not a fault code that the machine comes out with - its a read of the serial or such like of the chips in the ecu and so on.. that may well be what those numbers were.. Again as you say, there is just no way of telling.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Your fee as you deposited in the justanswer system is paid in. I will get credited myself when you click on the OK ratings.. which I would appreciate you doing. I have been in this live discussion with you for over an hour - and I have been totally honest with you.. Honestly too, its not my fault that there is no definition for what you have there - as they are not real / recognised codes.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
So I would appreciate your clicking the OK ratings so that I am credited for my time spent with you..