UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Volkswagen Beetle: The roof on daughters 2003 vw beetle will…

Customer Question
The roof on daughters 2003...
The roof on daughters 2003 vw beetle will not lower - hood light flashes cannot hear the motor - the two flaps are raised ?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: UK Car
7/3/2015
UK Auto Mechanic: Billy, Trainer/Master tech. replied 3 years ago
Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
This beetle has one touch windows (meaning you press one time, and the window goes all the way up or down). First make sure that the one touch feature is operating (if not get back to me on this).
Regards,
Billy
This button is working for the windows
My apologies for the inconvenience, but i need to make sure on these:
the button for all the windows is working (one touch), and the individual buttons are working (one touch as well)?
yes they all do
Hello again,
Having the power windows working, and having checked all the fuses, and none is blown, i would proceed by checking the hydraulic fluid in the luggage compartment. You need to open the luggage compartment, remove the trim to access the hydraulic unit.
First, check the hydraulic fluid, and add as necessary.
Kindly get back to me with your results, so we proceed accordingly.
Thanks
Your most welcome!
Kindly get back to me with your findings, or if further assistance is needed.
Regards,
Billy
Hi
Checked fluid levels - all fine - is there a separate fuse for the roof?
Hello again,
Under the dash, on passenger side. The additional relay plate, above it there should be a maximum of four fuses. Two of them are only for the convertible roof.
Regards,
Billy
Struggling to locate this - we have the glove box and beneath that is a panel with 3 hex screws not sure if there are anymore ?
Hello again,
Here is the location (i would also check on the driver's side):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Zgf4dbmODzbFNpckRGS2dVQVE/view?usp=sharing
And the fuses are on top of the relay plate:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Zgf4dbmODzQmR4ZWI3T1Z1T3M/view?usp=sharing
Those diagrams should help you get to the 13 relay plate, and the fuses on top.
Regards,
Billy
does the entire dash board have to be removed? Cannot see any additional fuses
Hello again,
My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.
No, the dashboard will not requier removing.
The relay panel (as shown in the diagram send before) should be under the dash. The lower trim under the dash will only need removing. Usually it is on the left side. However, i would check both sides.
Regards,
Billy
Having removed the glove box and associated trim - and partial trim beneath the steering wheel - I still cannot locate these fuses and relays- surely something like this should be easily accessible?
Did you remove the trim above the footwell?
Are we talking about the insulation type material and not the plastic ?
I'm referring to the plastic trim, attached to the dashboard, above the footwell.
Sorry but the only way to do that is by removing the center console and all of the instrument cluster ?
Check this out:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Zgf4dbmODzUjVHRXNYbTBHRzg/view?usp=sharing
Hi
Removed panel - could not identify a fuse.
This the relay plate. On top of it, you cannot find fuses (a bit behind it, towards the top)?
Hello
Access to these fuses are almost impossible without removing the complete lower section of the trim and dashboard. I have tested the current to the motor with a volt meter and there is a charge of 12v getting through. Assume that the motor is the problem ? if so how do I remove and disconnect from the hydraulics etc?
If the motor is getting power when the switch is depressed, then it would be the motor. Here are the instructions you need:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Zgf4dbmODzU3RVY3NJVkxORzg/view?usp=sharing
Kindly get back to me with your findings, so we proceed as needed.
Regards,
Billy