Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer - master tech., SAE member
30385560

Nissan/Datsun Primera: I have the same problem as John did

Customer Question

I have the same problem as John did 4 years ago but no ansewer shown. Can anything be done to shut the alarm down?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.
What exactly is the problem?
Kindly include all the symptoms.
Do you have a factory alarm, or an aftermarket alarm?
Was anything checked yet?
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Billy
It's a 1999 Nissan Primera P11 -144 2.0S Estate. Basically I have just the one remote key but a few days ago this suddenly stopped working and even though I replaced the battery it has made no difference. So I have to open the car manually which always sets the alarm off. The only way to shut it off is to put the key in the ignition and start up the engine. I presume it is a factory alarm but I'm not sure - is there a way to tell?
Anyway is there a way I can switch off the alarm without having to go the the Nissan dealer - it's an old car and not exactly a target for thieves? Otherwise I am having to leave it unlocked anyway so as not to continually annoy the neighbours. Thanks.
Rob.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Hello Rob,
Let's first try and reprogram the key fob (since its batteries were replaced).
Switch ignition ON and OFF 6 times within 10 seconds.
After 2 seconds indicators will flash twice.
Press and hold unlock button.
Press lock button 3 times.
Release unlock button.
Indicators will flash once.
If required repeat button procedure to program remaining remote controls.
Switch ignition ON, indicators will flash twice.
Check operation of all programmed remote controls.
NOTE: A maximum of 4 remote controls can be programmed. If all 4 remote controls are programmed indicators will flash 3 times.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The first two lines of the procedure worked ok but the key part ie press unlock and press lock 3 times didn't seem to do anything - the indicator didn't flash.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
You need to press and hold the unlock button (keep pressed) while pressing the lock button 3 times. and then release the unlock button. did you try exactly that? (i'm sorry but we need to confirm)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Billy. Yes I did exactly that several times and each time no reaction unfortunately.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Hello Rob,
When the alarm is triggered, does it make the same sound as the horn? or a different horn sound? (now trying for the easiest cheapest way to disarm the alarm or silence it)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's definitely a different sound - the car horn is at a lower pitch than the alarm. Thanks.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
In this case, the easiest and simplest way to go (apart from the first two steps), would be opening the hood, triggering the alarm, and finding out where the horn is located. Then, i would simply remove the connector from the alarm horn. The alarm would still trigger, but it will not cause any annoyance for you or your neighbours.
Kindly get back to me with your findings, or if further info is needed.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Billy.
The alarm is situated somewhere above the rear right wheel arch. I tried to access it but short of removing the interior boot trim on that side I don't think I can reach it.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
The horn should be on the exterior. So removing the wheel arch trim (the plastic around the wheel), should give you access to the horn. You simply need to disconnect its wire, and cover the wire with some tape.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This mark of Primera seems to be all metal except for the rear bumper - there's no plastic wheel arch trim attached to the outer body.. However are you actually referring to the inside of the wheel arch where the dried mud collects above the wheel?
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Well, they don't make them like this anymore...
Indeed, where the mud collects... as the horn, should be placed on the outside...
This should be the only time you might like to leave the alarm for a minute to track the horn, and remove the connector off of it...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Billy. I think the alarm is factory fitted and in the car panel somewhere above the wheel where you can't easily access. Sounds like I'm snookered! Cheers.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Hello Rob,
Didn't you locate the horn? as even if the alarm is factory fitted, disconnecting the horn will sort the issue.